Prerequisite or Registration Restriction for a Course
The computer will not allow you to register into a course for which you are missing the course prerequisite or you do not meet the registration restrictions (e.g. class year restrictions or major restrictions).
Only the instructor or department head can override a missing prerequisite or registration restriction. You must contact the faculty member and request approval to be eligible to register in their class.
- Prerequisites (including registration restrictions) are noted the Course Offering List under Details and in the Student Planning Course Catalog description.
- You can not register or waitlist into the class until consent is obtained and the faculty member gives you approval through their Self-Service page.
- If given consent to enroll in the course, it will show up in your "Petitions" tab, and the 'Register' or 'Waitlist' button will be active the appropriate planned section.
- Please note that if you cannot reach the instructor (they could be on sabbatical or be a new or visiting professor) contact the department head for consent.
- Sample error message: INTR-431-01 - INTR-431 prerequisite(s) not met. Instructor consent required to register. Second sample error message: PHIL-180-01 - THIS COURSE SECTION IS RESTRICTED TO FIRST-YEAR STUDENTS ONLY.
- NOTE: Online instructor consent does not register you into a course or change your waitlist status. You may receive instructor consent, but it does not guarantee a seat if the course closes.