Intro Physics Teaching Assistant
Gain teaching experience! Reinforce your lab skills! Earn real money!
Physics and Engineering Majors (or sophomores by invitation who intend to major) who meet the minimum requirements (listed below) can apply to become a lab teaching assistant for the introductory Physics labs. Recruitment for the following academic year occurs annually each May. At that time, interested students are encouraged to contact Professor Libby Cumming directly to get the job description and job application.
- Help students design and carry out experiments.
- Help troubleshoot set-ups and lab manual while preparing for lab each week.
- 5-8 hours per week
TA Applicant Requirements:
Students must be a declared major in physics or engineering and have taken both:
- PHYS 113 - General Physics Laboratory I
Planned Offering: Fall
Corequisite: PHYS 111. A laboratory course to accompany PHYS 111.
Laboratory exercises in classical mechanics.
- PHYS 114 - General Physics Laboratory II
Planned Offering: Winter
Corequisite: PHYS 112. A laboratory course to accompany PHYS 112.
Laboratory exercises in electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.
· Each TA will be assigned to one of the sections, meeting M, T, W, Th afternoons 1:25-4:30, and Th morn 8:35-11:40.
· Prep time will be two hours whenever all TAs can meet together—probably Friday afternoon, but possibly at another time.
· Reliable attendance every week at your assigned section and Friday prep is very important.