Apply for Aid
Apply for Aid
The instructions below apply to domestic first-year and transfer students. If you are an international student, visit international student resources.
How to Apply
The application for university-funded need-based grant steps are below. The complete application must be submitted by the deadline to be considered for university-funded need-based grant or the W&L Promise. Students applying for federal aid only may skip to Step 3.
Step 1: Complete the 2020-21 CSS Profile
- Our school code is 5887
- A PROFILE application is required for both parent households if your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried.
Step 2: Submit Your 2018 Federal Tax Returns to W&L
- Your and your parents' 2018 federal tax returns including all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc
- 2018 Federal tax returns for businesses and corporations including all schedules, K-1s,etc, if applicable
- If your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried, your non-custodial parent's tax return is also required.
- If you or your parent is not required to file a 2018 federal tax return, please submit the W&L Non-Tax Filer Statement.
- Submit documents through mail or via the W&L electronic upload. (W&L does not participate in IDOC and cannot access documents submitted through the IDOC system.)
Step 3: Complete the 2020-21 FAFSA online using your 2018 federal tax returns.
- Our school code is 003768
Step 4: Monitor Aid Status
- Once you have applied for admission, you can monitor the status of your Financial Aid application online by logging into the Applicant Portal. Once logged in, click on the Financial Aid Tab. All financial aid documents currently required of the student will be listed along with a status of Awaiting or Received.
Step 5: Receive your Award Package
- Aid awards will be available in your Applicant Portal when released. A paper copy will also be mailed to you. Once you receive your financial aid award, you can make an informed decision about choosing W&L as your home for the next four years!
Financial Aid Deadlines
|Merit Application Deadline|
|December 1||Johnson Scholarship|
|To be considered for any form of merit scholarships, students must complete the Common App for admission and the Johnson Scholarship supplement|
|Need-Based Grant Deadlines|
|December 1||Early Decision I Applicants|
|January 15||Early Decision II Applicants|
|February 15||Regular Decision Applicants|
|March 15||Transfer Applicants|
|Award Notification Dates|
|December 13||Early Decision I|
|February 1||Early Decision II|
|April 1||Regular Decision|
*Federal Financial Aid
Eligibility for any federally funded need-based grant, federal student and/or parent loan, or federal work-study requires the submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.) To ensure adequate time to process federal aid, the FAFSA application should be submitted by the financial aid application deadline relevant to your admissions application. You are not required to submit the W&L University need-based grant application to receive federal aid. If you wish to be considered for W&L need-based grant, you will need to submit the W&L University need-based grant application.
- Steps 1, 2 and 3 are required to determine eligibility for any W&L need-based assistance. This aid will be included on your financial aid award letter.
- Your 2018 federal tax returns are the only tax returns required by the financial aid deadline. 2019 tax returns are not required to complete the application.
- All admitted applicants who submit the FAFSA will receive an award letter indicating their eligibility for federal financial aid awards. If at all possible, do not submit your FAFSA with estimated tax figures.
- Special Circumstances? You are welcome to notify our office of any special or unusual circumstances beyond the family's control which will limit your ability to afford educational costs. To do so, please submit the Notification of Special Circumstances.
- We do not accept documents submitted via fax or email. Please mail your documents to our office at W&L Office of Financial Aid, 204 West Washington Street, Lexington, VA 24450. You can also submit documents via electronic upload