W&L welcomes applicants from all over the world!
For non-U.S. citizens, all school documents including recommendation letters must be submitted in English. If applicable, official school-leaving examination scores for the final four years of secondary school must be submitted with the common application. If coursework or other preparation for a school-leaving examination is in progress, please submit predicted scores. Examples of school-leaving examinations include IGCSE O level, GCE AS/A Level, IB, WASSCE, KCSE, CBSE, and ISC.
Application fees are waived for international applicants.
- A completed Common Application or QuestBridge Application
- A signed Early Decision Agreement (If you decide to apply Early Decision)
- An official copy of your high school transcript (International applicants should include final or predicted school leaving exam results, if applicable)
- Official scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (required for some students, please see the full policy for applicability)
- Two teacher recommendations
- One recommendation letter from your guidance or college counselor
- The Common Application Secondary School Report form, completed by your guidance or college counselor
- Self-reported or official scores from the SAT or ACT (optional for the Class of 2027)
- InitialView Interview, Duolingo, or Vericant interview
- Apply for scholarships and/or financial aid (international students are eligible for both at W&L)
Scholarships and Aid
Our mission is to make a Washington and Lee education affordable for all admitted students. We offer both merit-based scholarships and need-based financial aid. The Johnson Scholarship application serves as the application for all merit scholarships at W&L and is found on the Writing Supplement to the Common Application. QuestBridge applicants are not required to submit the additional scholarship application. Explore our financial aid information to learn more.
Since many international students are coming from educational systems that are different from that of the U.S., we find it valuable to view an unscripted interview in which each applicant may discuss their unique background and goals.
Alumni interviews are not available for international students living abroad, except in Portugal, Mexico and the UK, and we are not able to offer Skype or phone interviews. However, international applicants may participate in an interview conducted by a third party provider such as InitialView, Duolingo, or Vericant. These companies conduct and record the interview so it can be reviewed later by our office. InitialView, Duolingo, or Vericant are not able to answer questions about W&L, so please direct any questions about W&L to email@example.com.
|Application||Application Deadline||Testing Deadline*||Financial Aid Application||Notification Date|
|Early Decision Round 1||November 1||ACT Oct 23,
SAT Nov 5
|December 1||Late December|
|Johnson Scholarship||December 1||SAT Dec 3,
ACT Dec 10
|Early Decision Round 2||January 1||SAT Dec 3, ACT Dec 10||January 15||Late January|
|Regular Decision||January 1||SAT Dec 3, ACT Dec 10||February 15||by April 1|
|*For first-year undergraduate applicants to the Class of 2027, submitting SAT or ACT scores is optional. For more information, please read our standardized testing policy.
**Financial aid application deadlines are based on your admission application decision choice (Early Decision 1 or 2, Regular Decision).