Spring Term Abroad
Spring Term Abroad (STA) is a special part of the Washington and Lee curriculum and experience. These courses allow students to get an up-close, intensive, and personal experience of the subject matter on-site with a W&L faculty member during the spring term.
While students do not pay a separate tuition to W&L for Spring Term, separate fees are required for Spring Term Abroad trips to cover the actual travel, accommodation, facilities and other educational costs. While W&L does everything to keep these costs as low as possible, they can be substantial and must be borne by the student participants.
Need-based financial aid is available for spring term abroad programs. This aid is completely separate from the financial aid you may be receiving for the fall and winter terms. Students with demonstrated financial need will receive grant assistance. To be considered, you must have a complete W&L need-based aid application on file for 2019-20. Loan assistance is almost always available and requires the submission of the 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions regarding your application and eligibility.
SCHEDULES and DEADLINES
Spring Term Abroad 2020
Spring Term Abroad has a special structure, including a specific application process, its own deadlines of which you must be aware and must meet, and a separate financial process. Please note the following important dates for Spring Term Abroad 2020:
- September 19, 2019: Study Abroad Fair, 11 am to 3 pm in Leyburn Library. An opportunity to talk to the faculty directors about the programs approved for Spring 2020.
- October 7, 2019: 6:30 pm Stackhouse Theater, Elrod Commons: General Information Session for Spring Term Abroad 2020 followed by breakaway sessions with the faculty directors of each of the programs.
- October 25, 2019: Online applications due for STA 2020 courses. There will be a link to the application on each of the program pages. The link will be live from October 8. Students can apply for up to two courses clearly indicating first and second choice.
- Nov 4, 2019 - Date by which students are notified by Program Director of acceptance to program.
- Thanksgiving Break 2019: Award notification to students by Financial Aid office.
- December 6, 2019: Deadline for students to confirm their participation in the program by electronic signature of the Agreement of Responsible Travel form on their on-line application (offcampus.wlu.edu) and deposit of $250. The deposit is refundable only in case of medical emergency or if the program is canceled. Students who receive financial aid for the program can sign a deposit waiver. Students who sign a waiver and then withdraw between December 3rd but before January 15 will be charged the deposit amount.
- January 15, 2020: Last date for students to withdraw from program without incurring full financial obligation.
- February 5-8, 2020 (tentative): Spring term class registration is open and students register online for their W&L spring abroad course when their registration window is open.
- Winter term 2020: Attend pre-departure orientation sessions as scheduled with faculty director/s. View the pre-departure orientation video online (offcampus.wlu.edu) and other learning content and complete assessment. Post decision material has to be completed/reviewed.
- April 18-26, 2020 - Spring Break
- April 27 - May 22, 2020: Spring Term