Apply for the Johnson Scholarship
QuestBridge Applicants: Please visit the QuestBridge website for Johnson Scholarship application instructions.
Students who wish to be considered for a Johnson Scholarship — or any Washington and Lee merit-based scholarship — must submit a complete Common App, including the additional Johnson Scholarship application essay, no later than December 1. All Johnson Scholarship application instructions are included in W&L's section of the Common App.
It is not necessary to apply under W&L's binding Early Decision I plan to be considered for the Johnson Scholarship or other merit-based awards.
Finalists for the Johnson Scholarship will be selected based on academic achievement and demonstrated leadership. They will be judged on their potential to contribute to the intellectual and civic life of the W&L campus and of the world at large in years to come. Writing samples, teacher recommendations, and records of leadership, citizenship, and involvement in non-academic activities will be weighed.
A complete application consists of:
- A complete Common App, including the Johnson Scholarship Application essay
- An official copy of your high school transcript
- Self-reported or official scores from the SAT or ACT (optional for the Classes of 2025 and 2026)
- Two teacher recommendations
- One school counselor recommendation and secondary school form