International Student Aid
Need and Merit
Washington and Lee University provides both need-based and merit-based assistance to international students in each entering class. Awards range from several thousand dollars to the full annual cost of attendance. Admission to Washington and Lee does not guarantee financial assistance.
Applying for Merit-based Aid
All merit-based aid is awarded through the Johnson Scholarship Program.
Applying for Need-based Aid
The Office of Financial Aid will collect information on the family's financial situation to make a determination regarding eligibility for need-based aid. A complete financial aid application is required if you wish to be considered for need-based grant, but if you would like to see an estimated award please try the W&L International Grant Estimator.
The W&L need-based financial aid application for international students includes the following:
- STEP 1: Complete the 2022-23 CSS/Financial Aid Profile online.
- STEP 2: Submit the 2022-23 W&L International Grant Supplement.
- STEP 3: Monitor the status of your Financial Aid application online by logging into the Applicant Portal on the Financial Aid Tab. All financial aid documents currently required of the student will be listed along with a status of Awaiting or Received. W&L documents can be submitted via electronic upload.
- STEP 4: Aid awards will be available in your Applicant Portal when released. A paper copy will also be mailed to you. Once you receive your financial aid award, you can make an informed decision about choosing W&L as your home for the next four years!
Deadlines for submitting the W&L International Need-Based Grant Application
- Early Decision Round 1: December 1, 2021
- Early Decision Round 2: January 15, 2022
- Regular Decision: February 15, 2022
International need-based grants are provided for four years based on the evaluation of the initial first-year financial aid application. The award increases dollar for dollar with any increase in W&L tuition. Recipients of an International Grant do not need to provide any additional documentation in subsequent years to continue receiving their award. The International Grant is guaranteed for four years but is not eligible for negotiation once a student accepts the offer of admission. International students who accept the offer of admission without grants are not eligible for grants in subsequent years.
Email the Office of Financial Aid for a discussion of complex questions regarding financial assistance.