Applying to W&L
Current high school seniors or students who have never taken college classes after graduating from high school should apply as first-year applicants via one of the following applications:
- Common Application
- Coalition Application (SCOIR)
- QuestBridge Application
Students previously enrolled full-time at another college or university may apply as transfer applicants. W&L does not accept the Common Application for transfers.
|Application Plan||Application Deadline||Supplemental Materials Deadline*||Notification Date|
|Early Decision I||NOV 1, 2023||NOV 17, 2023||DEC 15, 2023|
|Early Decision II||JAN 1, 2024||JAN 15, 2024||FEB 1, 2024|
|Regular Decision||JAN 1, 2024||FEB 1, 2024||APR 1, 2024|
|Transfer||MAY 15, 2024||MAY 15, 2024||JUN 1, 2024|
- All application deadlines are at 11:59 PM in your local time zone on the day listed above.
- Early Decision is an application program designed for students who believe Washington and Lee is their top choice for college. EDI and EDII are both "binding" options; if admitted, students are required to enroll at W&L and withdraw applications from other schools.
- * Supplemental materials to be reviewed with your application, including any submitted standardized test scores, optional short-answer personal statements, art/music portfolio submissions, teacher or counselor recommendations, and mid-year grade reports, should be submitted at your earliest convenience up to the deadline listed above.
Scholarship and Financial Aid Deadlines
The Johnson Scholarship is W&L's premier merit-based scholarship, providing full tuition, housing, and meals to up to 10% of each incoming class. Scholarship winners also receive an additional $10,000 to support summer experiences or study abroad. Application for the Johnson Scholarship is open to all students and does require a supplemental essay due no later than 11:59 PM in your local time zone on Dec. 1, 2023. Please see the full application instructions.
|Application Plan||Scholarship Deadline||Aid Application Deadline|
|Early Decision I||DEC 1, 2023||DEC 1, 2023 **|
|Early Decision II||DEC 1, 2023||JAN 15, 2023|
|Regular Decision||DEC 1, 2023||FEB 15, 2023|
|Transfer||N/A||MAR 15, 2023|
- A complete need-based aid application consists of a submitted FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and The College Board's CSS Profile form.
- Finalists for the Johnson Scholarship will be notified in early February and invited to attend the selection event, an all-expenses-paid visit to campus, March 3 - 6, 2024, to meet other scholarship finalists, experience campus life, and interview with the scholarship committee.
- A financial aid award notification is a letter detailing any scholarships or grants awarded by W&L and available federal aid for which you are eligible to accept.
- If applicable, your financial aid award notification letter will be included with your admission decision.
Standardized Testing Deadlines
|Application Plan||ACT - Last Testing Date||SAT - Last Testing Date|
|Early Decision I||OCT 28, 2023||OCT 7, 2023|
|Early Decision II||NOV 3, 2023||DEC 2, 2023|
|Regular Decision||NOV 3, 2023||DEC 2, 2023|
- Application to W&L is test optional. For students wishing to submit test scores, the following table highlights the last testing date for each test that will allow you to receive scores in time to submit for proper consideration with the rest of your application.
- A completed Common, Coalition, or QuestBridge Application
- A signed Early Decision Agreement (if applying EDI or EDII)
- An official copy of your high school transcript
- Two high school teacher recommendations
- One letter of recommendation from your school guidance or college counselor
- A secondary school report form completed by a school guidance or college counselor
- OPTIONAL: Self-reported or official scores from the ACT or SAT
Some applicants may qualify to have their Common Application or Coalition Application fee waived. To determine eligibility, request a fee waiver.
International applicants must submit all items listed above as part of the standard first-year application, plus the following. Please note that all school documents, including recommendation letters, must be submitted in English.
- Final or predicted school leaving exam results, if applicable
- Official scores from the TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English Test, or Cambridge English: C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency exam (see the full policy for applicability)
Additional OPTIONAL ITEMS
Home-schooled applicants must submit all items listed above as part of the standard first-year application, plus the following:
- A detailed description of your curriculum, including a list of texts utilized
- If applicable, a listing of all high schools or colleges attended and official transcripts showing all courses completed and grades earned
Johnson Scholarship applicants must submit all items listed above as part of the standard first-year application, plus an additional 800-word max supplemental essay by Dec. 1, 2023.
Note: The scholarship application deadline is the same regardless of whether you are applying early or regular decision.
Transfer admission to Washington and Lee is highly competitive. Successful applicants generally have a very strong high school record, have earned college grades at the B (3.0) level or higher, and submit an SAT or ACT exam. However, during the on-going worldwide pandemic if you did not take the ACT or SAT when you applied to the program you currently attend, or if sitting for these exams would be a hardship, you may choose to submit your application without these exams.
- A completed W&L Transfer Application
- W&L does not accept the Common Application for Transfer Admission.
- An official copy of your high school transcript
- International students should include their school leaving certificate or exam results.
- Official transcripts from all colleges from which you have received credit
- Self-reported or official score reports from the SAT or ACT
- Optional, but recommended, for those applying for entry in fall 2024.
- Two letters of recommendation letters from professors at the college level
- A completed college report form (see W&L Transfer Application), affirming that you are in good standing at the college from which you intend to transfer
- If currently enrolled at a college: A completed mid-term report form (see W&L Transfer Application) if you are currently enrolled at a college.
- If not currently enrolled at the time of application submission: Please contact the Admissions Office to waive this requirement.
- Application fee of $60
After submitting your application, you will receive an email from W&L with information about the online applicant portal and how to check the status of your application. To log in for the first time, you will need the email address associated with your application and the temporary password supplied in the confirmation email.
In the portal, applicants may:
- Confirm all required application materials have been submitted and received
- Answer additional short essay prompts or reply to the prompts in a 2-minute video
- Create a portfolio of images, video, or audio to supplement an application
- Connect with your assigned admissions counselor
- Add updates to a submitted application, including awards, a resume, additional writing samples, or other relevant information
- Receive an admission decision and, if applicable, your merit and need-based aid award letter
- Lastly, if admitted, confirm your place in the class of 2028