Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
Research at W&L
Students can sometimes start or continue doing research during semester with faculty here at W&L. Anywhere from 1-3 credits can be awarded for this work. It's usually best to contact the faculty member directly to discussion your options with them.
Summer Research at W&L
Students can spend the summer doing research with faculty at W&L. The Summer Research Scholars program provides funding for students.
- Note that the SRS application deadline is generally around Thanksgiving break of the Fall term prior to the summer you want to do research.
- For information on how to apply click here.
- For a list of faculty projects click here.
Summer Research Elsewhere
There are opportunities for summer research in mathematics at other institutions.
- The American Mathematical Society has a list of many of these programs here.
- The National Science Foundation also has a list of summer research programs here.
- Dr sarah-marie belcastro has an excellent page all about summer research opportunities.
Note that most REUs receive many many more applications than they have spots, so it's a good idea to apply to at least 6 of them. They also vary widely in structure (for example, whether students work individually or in groups, on similar projects or different projects, with lots of faculty supervision/interaction or very little). If you've been accepted to more than one REU, be sure to ask about the details of the structure if these aspects of your working environment are important to you.