Mission and Vision
Washington and Lee University provides a liberal arts education that develops students' capacity to think freely, critically, and humanely and to conduct themselves with honor, integrity, and civility. Graduates will be prepared for lifelong learning, personal achievement, responsible leadership, service to others, and engaged citizenship in a global and diverse society.
Non Incautus Futuri
W&L's motto, "not unmindful of the future," underlies the University's commitment to providing a liberal arts education that is vital and relevant to the 21st century. By combining the benefits of a liberal arts foundation with emerging technologies and interdisciplinary perspectives, our students head into life after college equipped with the habits of mind, strength of character and essential knowledge needed to pursue lives of consequence.
Washington and Lee University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award bachelor’s degrees, the master of laws, and juris doctor degrees. For questions about the accreditation of Washington and Lee University Contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Washington and Lee University.
- The Ernest Williams II School of Commerce, Economics, and Politics is accredited by AACSB International: The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- The School of Law is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and is approved by the American Bar Association.
- The Department of Journalism and Mass Communications is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications.
- The Department of Chemistry is approved by the American Chemical Society Committee on Professional Training.
- Washington and Lee University is approved for veterans' education by the Commonwealth of Virginia - Department of Veteran Services.
- Education Studies offers a teacher licensure program that meets rigorous national standards for educator preparation set by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The program is also approved by the Virginia Department of Education to offer coursework that leads to licensure.
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
Washington and Lee affirms that diverse perspectives and backgrounds enhance our community. We are committed to the recruitment, enrichment, and retention of students, faculty, and staff who embody many experiences, cultures, points of view, interests, and identities. As engaged citizens in a global and diverse society, we seek to advance a positive learning and working environment for all through open and substantive dialogue. Approved by the Board of Trustees, May 18, 2002. Revised and Approved by the Board of Trustees, February 11, 2018