Trips & Field Work
Religion faculty often take their classes on field trips, which are opportunities for students within that class. However, the Religion Department recommends for anyone to take these trips to these site on their own time.
Religion 260: Holy Cross Abbey
Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017: Six students of the Fall 2017 REL 260 (Christian Mysticism and Visionary Traditions) took a field trip to Holy Cross Abbey in Berryville, VA. Prior to the trip Professor Brown advised her students to view the below resources: videos of the Abbey and information on praying the 'Hours with the Monks' that they would be hearing on site. Following the 'Hours', Fr. James conducted a private Q&A session with the students and Prof. Brown.
- Shantiniketan Hindu Temple (Roanoke, VA) http://www.roanoketemple.org/
- Bodhi Path Buddhist Center (Natural Bridge, VA) http://www.bodhipath.org/naturalbridge/
- Forest Dhamma Monastery (Lexington, VA) http://www.forestdhamma.org/about/
- Yogaville (Buckingham, VA) https://www.yogaville.org/about/
- Temple House of Israel (Staunton, VA) http://thoi.org/
- Arthur M. Sackler Gallery (Washington, D.C.) https://www.si.edu/museums/sackler-gallery
W&L students at Yogaville (Buckingham, VA)