Art, music, dance, theater. Prepare to be inspired by this year's impressive offering of performances and exhibits. Take a sneak peek at what's in store for the upcoming season at the Washington and Lee University Lenfest Center for the Arts.
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The 18-19 Lenfest Season
- Auditions: W&L Dancers Create.... 2018
- Auditions: VANYA and SONIA and MASHA and SPIKE September 6 and Friday
- Faculty Recital: Ross Ahlhorn, trumpet September 8
- Auditions - PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT the musical
- Faculty Recital: Shawn Earle, clarinet September 13
- Faculty Recital: Gregory Parker, baritone and Anna Billias, piano September 20
- 2 PART, Participatory Professional AUDITION Workshop
- Faculty Recital: Ting-Ting Yen, violin; Timothy Gaylard, piano and Julia Goudimova, cello September 23
- DHOAD Gypsies of Rajasthan September 25
- Parents and Family Weekend Choral Concert September 28
- Parents and Family Weekend: Instrumental Ensemble Concert September 29
- SonoKlect: Hub New Music October 6
- Sona Jobarteh Concert October 18
- Auditions: "The Cherry Orchard (Brustein)"
- "Classic Strings Duo in Concert" October 20
- Fall Choral Concert October 23
- PRISCILLA QUEEN OF THE DESERT the musical October 25
- Marlbrook Chamber Players October 28
- Bluegrass Ensemble Concert November 3
- Wind Ensemble Concert November 5
- Concert Guild: Antioch Chamber Ensemble November 10
- Dancing with the Professors November 13
- VANYA and SONIA and MASHA and SPIKE November 11
- University Orchestra Concert November 15
- University Jazz Ensemble: Vosbein Magee Big Band Concert November 29
- Holiday Pops Concert December 3
- W&L Dancers Create.... December 4
- Candlelight Service: A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols December 6
- AUDITIONS: W&L Repertory Dance Company
- BODYVOX: Urban Meadow January 10
- JULIAN SANDS: "A Celebration of Harold Pinter" January 24
- American Shakespeare Center's "Antigone" February 8
- Vosbein Magee Big Band 2019 at 8:00 p.m.
- Winter Music / Faculty Recital: Julia Goudimova, cello/Anna Billias, piano February 12
- Concert Guild: Danielle Talamantes, soprano March 3
- Concert Guild: Imani Winds and Jon Nakamatsu, piano March 9
- "The Cherry Orchard (Brustein)" March 12
- Faculty Recital: Jaclyn Wappel, harp March 17
- Winter Choral Concert March 19
- University Orchestra Concert March 21
- University Jazz Ensemble Concert March 28
- W&L Repertory Dance Company March 29
- University Wind Ensemble Concert April 1
- University Singers: Scotland Tour Kick-Off Concert April 2
- Bluegrass Ensemble Concert April 4
- Chamber Ensemble Concert April 5
- Marlbrook Chamber Players: Jaime McArdle, violin; Julia Goudimova, cello; Timothy Gaylard, piano May 5
- Senior Recital: Zachary Brandt ’19, piano May 11
- Opera Scenes Program May 18
- Senior Recital: Lisa Roth ’19, piano May 21
- University Singers: Commencement Concert May 21
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The Lenfest Center for the Arts, home of the Department of Theater, Dance, and Film Studies and the Department of Music and Art is a multi-use facility designed and equipped to accommodate a broad spectrum of the performing arts, including theater, musical theater, opera and operetta, choral and band music, dance and performance art in one energizing complex.
Since opening in 1991, the Lenfest Center has helped the University provide the fine arts component of an exceptional liberal arts education. Housing over 175 performances each year and hosting over 30,000 patrons, the center has become the region's performing arts center. Countless rehearsals and an ongoing schedule of classes make the Lenfest Center a lively and dynamic educational facility.
The history of the university's long relationship to the arts dates back to its most illustrious early donor and first namesake, George Washington. In making an important gift to the struggling school in 1796, the First President noted, "To promote literature in this rising empire, and to encourage the arts, have ever been amongst the warmest wishes of my heart. And if the donation is likely to prove a means to accomplish these ends, it will contribute to the gratification of my desires."
Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:00 p.m.