Art, music, dance, theater. Prepare to be inspired by this year's impressive offering of performances and exhibits. Take a sneak peek at what's in store for the upcoming season at the Washington and Lee University Lenfest Center for the Arts.
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The 19-20 Lenfest Season
- AUDITIONS FOR W&L DANCERS CREATE....
- AUDITIONS FOR "A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM" September 12th and 13th
- Faculty Recital and Reception: Timothy Gaylard, piano September 15
- "The Brubeck Brothers Quartet Celebrates Dave Brubeck’s Centennial" Sept. 21
- Pickens World Music Concert: Nobuntu September 24
- Concert Guild: Marinus Ensemble September 28
- Family Weekend Choral Concert and Reception October 4
- Family Weekend Instrumental Concert October 5
- Faculty Recital: Gregory Parker, baritone and Anna Billias, piano "Russian Romanticism" October 15
- "Nevermore Nevermore:Musical Depictions of Mystery and Macabre for Two Harps" October 27
- Fall Choral Concert: featuring the University Singers, Men's Glee Club and Cantatrici Oct. 29
- "A Midsummer Night’s Dream" Oct. 31
- Marlbrook Chamber Players Nov. 3
- University Wind Ensemble Concert: "Imagine" November 4
- University Orchestra Concert and Reception: "Eroica" November 14
- W&L Dancers Create…. November 14
- Bluegrass Ensemble Concert EVENT CANCELLED
- The Capitol Steps November 20
- AUDITIONS FOR "EVERYBODY" Nov. 18th and Tues.
- University Jazz Ensemble Nov. 21
- Holiday Pops Concert December 3
- Candlelight Service: A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols by the University Singers Dec. 5
- STEP AFRIKA! January 16
- Concert Guild: Chanticleer January 31
- Jeremy Wilson, trombone Feb. 1
- Drum TAO February 6
- Marlbrook Chamber Players: "A Retrospective of Musical Collaborating for a Decade" Feb. 9
- Faculty-Guest Recital: Hannah Dishman, mezzo-soprano and Anna Billias, piano Feb. 20
- Faculty Recital: Julia Goudimova, cello and Anna Billias, piano March 3
- Senior Recital: Allison Jue '20, viola March 6
- "EVERYBODY" March 12; Friday
- Bentley Performance: "Considering Matthew Shepard" March 13
- Winter Choral Concert March 24
- University Orchestra Concert: A Fond Farewell March 26
- Concert Guild: Matt Haimovitz, cello March 31
- W&L Repertory Dance and University Jazz Ensemble April 2; Friday
- University Jazz Ensemble and W&L Repertory Dance April 2; Friday
- Wind Ensemble Concert April 7
- Bluegrass Ensemble Concert April 9
- University Singers Commencement Concert May 26
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The Lenfest Center for the Arts, home of the Department of Theater, Dance, and Film Studies and the Department of Music and Art is a multi-use facility designed and equipped to accommodate a broad spectrum of the performing arts, including theater, musical theater, opera and operetta, choral and band music, dance and performance art in one energizing complex.
Since opening in 1991, the Lenfest Center has helped the University provide the fine arts component of an exceptional liberal arts education. Housing over 175 performances each year and hosting over 30,000 patrons, the center has become the region's performing arts center. Countless rehearsals and an ongoing schedule of classes make the Lenfest Center a lively and dynamic educational facility.
The history of the university's long relationship to the arts dates back to its most illustrious early donor and first namesake, George Washington. In making an important gift to the struggling school in 1796, the First President noted, "To promote literature in this rising empire, and to encourage the arts, have ever been amongst the warmest wishes of my heart. And if the donation is likely to prove a means to accomplish these ends, it will contribute to the gratification of my desires."
Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 3 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 21, 2019 at 8 p.m.
Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 8:00 pm