Art, music, dance, theater. Prepare to be inspired by this year's impressive offering of performances and exhibits. Take a sneak peek at what's in store for the upcoming season at the Washington and Lee University Lenfest Center for the Arts.
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The 17-18 Lenfest Season
- WORKSHOP AND AUDITIONS "The Addams Family"
- AUDITIONS: W&L Dancers Create.... September 6 from 3-4:30 p.m. and Tuesday
- WORKSHOP AND AUDITIONS "1984"
- Faculty Piano Recital: "The Final Trinity" September 17
- Faculty Recital: "An Eclectic Potpourri" October 1
- Parents and Family Weekend Choral Concert October 6
- Family Weekend Instrumental Ensemble Concert October 7
- Faculty Recital: An Exploration of the Russian Soul October 8
- SonoKlect: Tom Lundberg October 21
- Fall Choral Concert October 24
- Marlbrook Chamber Ensemble: "A Classical and Romantic Afternoon" October 29
- "The Addams Family, A New Musical"
- Lo Còr de la Plana November 4
- University Wind Ensemble Concert November 6
- University Jazz Ensemble Fall Concert November 9
- Fall Bluegrass Ensemble Concert November 11
- George Orwell's "1984" 2017 at 7:30 p.m. and November 12
- Fall University Orchestra Concert November 16
- Dancing with the Professors November 16
- AUDITIONS: The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet 29
- AUDITIONS: James and the Giant Peach 29
- Holiday Pops Concert December 4 and Tuesday
- Candlelight Service: A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols 2017 at 8:00 p.m.
- W&L Dancers Create.... 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
- AUDITIONS: W&L Repertory Dance Company 2018 from 4:40-6 p.m.
- "BODYTRAFFIC" January 11
- Senior Voice Recital: Camilla Higgins '18 January 14
- Concert Guild: Garth Newel Piano Quartet January 19
- Faculty Recital: "The Cross-Cultural Clarinet" January 21
- Faculty Recital: "Russian Series" February 4
- SonoKlect: Trio ZBR February 10
- "James and the Giant Peach" 2018 & February 11
- University Singers Tour Home Concert February 27
- "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet" 2018 at 7:30 p.m. and March 3-4
- Faculty Recital: "Mockingbird Amongst the Flowers" March 4
- Concert Guild: Russian String Orchestra March 9
- Senior Composition Recital: Jordan Goldstein '18 March 11
- W&L Repertory Dance Company 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
- Marlbrook Chamber Ensemble: American Treasures March 18
- Winter University Orchestra Concert: "A Pilgrim Vision" March 22
- Concert Guild: Roomful of Teeth March 23
- Winter Choral Concert March 27
- University Wind Ensemble Concert April 2
- University Jazz Ensemble Concert April 5
- Bluegrass Ensemble April 6
- L. A. Theatre Works "The Mountaintop" April 23
- Che Malambo April 26
- University Singers Commencement Concert May 22
- Senior Piano Recital: Coralie Chu '18 May 22
The Lenfest Center for the Arts
The Lenfest Center for the Arts, home of the Department of Theater, Dance, and Film Studies and the Department of Music and Art is a multi-use facility designed and equipped to accommodate a broad spectrum of the performing arts, including theater, musical theater, opera and operetta, choral and band music, dance and performance art in one energizing complex.
Since opening in 1991, the Lenfest Center has helped the University provide the fine arts component of an exceptional liberal arts education. Housing over 175 performances each year and hosting over 30,000 patrons, the center has become the region's performing arts center. Countless rehearsals and an ongoing schedule of classes make the Lenfest Center a lively and dynamic educational facility.
The history of the university's long relationship to the arts dates back to its most illustrious early donor and first namesake, George Washington. In making an important gift to the struggling school in 1796, the First President noted, "To promote literature in this rising empire, and to encourage the arts, have ever been amongst the warmest wishes of my heart. And if the donation is likely to prove a means to accomplish these ends, it will contribute to the gratification of my desires."
September 6 from 1:30-3 p.m. and September 10-13 from 7-10 p.m.
Wednesday, September 6 from 3-4:30 p.m. and Tuesday, September 12 from 4:40-6 p.m.
September 6 from 1:30-3 p.m. and September 10-11 from 7-10 p.m.