FAQs Frequently Asked Questions about the Sexual Discrimination and Misconduct Policy

Q. My friend was sexually assaulted but doesn't want to come forward. What should I do?

  A. Believe your friend. Respect their wishes and support your friend's decision. Inform your friend of the resources available for reporting, and offer to accompany him or her to report. Encourage your friend to take care of any immediate needs for medical attention. https://www.wlu.edu/sexual-misconduct-resources/if-you-experienced-sexual-misconduct  

More information about ways to provide support for a friend.

Q. I was sexually assaulted, but I don't want to go through an investigation. What are my options?

A. 1. You can report the incident and request that the University not proceed with an investigation.  To the extent possible, the University will respect your decision. If a formal investigation is not conducted you can still request remedies such as a change in housing, work schedule, or a no contact directive.

2. You can report the incident and it can be investigated without you playing an active role in the investigation. Please note, however, that the ability to fully investigate may be impacted by your lack of participation.

3. You can also anonymously report. Please note that it is difficult to investigate a potential sexual assault on the basis of an anonymous report.

Q. Will I have to deal with a stressful court-style hearing if I proceed with an investigation?

  A. The hearing process is not designed to be an adversarial process like the process typically associated with traditional court proceedings. While lawyers can be present during the hearing, they do not have a speaking role. The panel members are the only ones that directly question the parties. The parties can submit written questions to the Chair of the HSMB to be asked on their behalf. Unless both parties agree, you will not need to visually see the other party during the hearing.

Q. Does my report to the University get forwarded to the police?

  A. Campus hearing bodies are independent from the criminal justice process. Although certain situations trigger mandatory reporting to local law enforcement, you can choose whether or not you wish to go forward with criminal proceedings through the police.

More FAQs can be found here: https://www.wlu.edu/general-counsel/code-of-policies/discrimination-harassment-and-retaliation/sexual-discrimination-and-misconduct-policy/sexual-misconduct-policy-faqs