Laura Leigh Birdwell graduated from W&L in 2003 with a BA in Philosophy and received her MA in Literature from St. John’s College in 2006. Her love for the Great Books eventually led her to Great Hearts Academies, a network of non-profit, classical, liberal arts charter schools serving students in grades K-12. The mission of Great Hearts resonated with her own belief that all children are deserving of a college preparatory education regardless of their socioeconomic status. Laura Leigh taught 10th grade Humane Letters and coached middle school girls soccer from 2009-2015 and stepped into the role of Recruitment Officer in 2015. She hopes to hire W&L graduates to become teachers with Great Hearts Academies.
Explore careers in education by exploring the links below. Found a career you're interested in? Stop by our office or make an appointment with a career advisor and begin networking to learn more.
- Academic360 - Is a meta-collection of internet resources that have been gathered for the academic (faculty, staff and administrator) job hunter
- American Camp Association - Jobs at summer camps
- Carney, Sandoe & Associates - A teacher recruitment company in New England area
- Children's Defense Fund - Elaborate internship program, including one on policy
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Education America - Resource for jobs in education
- Educator's Ally - "A highly personalized placement agency for educators and independent schools in the New York metropolitan area"
- Higher Ed Jobs - Browse positions by category (faculty and administration), type of institution and location.
- National Association for the Early Education of Young Children - resource for connecting practice, policy, and research
- Outdoor Education (camp) jobs
- Southern Teacher's Agency
- Teach For America
- Teaching Fellows - Teaching opportunities in Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, South, and West
- TNTP Teaching Fellowships - rigorous alternative certification program that recruits and trains talented recent college graduates to be outstanding teachers in high-need schools across the country
- Education Week Top School Jobs
- W&L's East Asian Language and Literatures Job Opportunities
- HERC Jobs: HERC advances the ability of member institutions to recruit and retain the most diverse and talented workforce
- Zero to Three - Connecting outstanding candidates with top employers in the early childhood field
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) - TEFL certification program to teach abroad
- 18 Teaching Fellowships Abroad
- Global Academy Jobs - Search for staff and faculty positions - Global Academy Jobs works with universities worldwide to promote academic mobility and international research collaboration
- Teach Away, Inc. - Professional teaching and educational support jobs abroad
- Teacher Education Department Resources
- College Access - Organization provides one-on-one and drop-in tutoring and mentoring to help students gain a competitive edge in the college admissions process.
- ESOL - ESOL facilitates communication with Rockbridge County's increasingly diverse population. Program offers formal classes, individual tutoring arrangements, translation of documents, and interpreting services.
One of the best ways to explore careers and find job opportunities is to network with professionals. Below are alumni who have experience in the field and have volunteered to be a resource to you. Not sure how to begin networking? Stop by our office to get started.
To learn about and network with more alumni in education, visit the WLUalum Twitter!