W&L students are bright, passionate and talented, with a world of opportunity waiting. Our size means students benefit from personal attention and planning every step of the way, from early career exploration to post-grad preparation.
Together with on-campus programming, off-campus career trips, our robust alumni network and cross-departmental partnerships, we create an environment where students have the confidence, skills and tools to pursue their desired professional paths.
About half of W&L graduates go on to graduate school, where they pursue a range of programs across the humanities, social sciences and STEM disciplines, or join professional programs in disciplines like medicine, business and law — including W&L’s Law School.
With a liberal arts education, personalized career advising and a dedicated alumni network, W&L graduates find success in their chosen fields all around the world.
By the Numbers
- 93% of the graduating students were employed or attending graduate school six months post-graduation
- 90% of applicants to law, medical, dental, veterinary and other professional programs are accepted.
- 85% of graduating students felt confident to effectively plan their own career
- 50% of W&L graduates choose to continue their education in graduate school.
- The highest pass rate in the nation for the CPA exam.
- Top producer of Fulbright Scholars and Teach for America
Prepared for Anything
A Washington and Lee education prepares you for anything. With a liberal arts education, a pool of opportunities, career advising, and a dedicated alumni network, our graduates find themselves at companies and organizations in a broad range of industries. Here is a small sample of where some of our 2019 graduates are working:
50% of W&L graduates choose to continue their education in graduate school, and those who do apply get in with an average of 90% success to their desired program. Whether it's law school, health professions, fellowships or scholarship, our graduates have seen success in schools across the country and around the globe. You can find W&L graduates from 2019 in schools like:
“College is a place where you will grow no matter how you go through it. The only thing you control is who you grow up to be.”
Jok Asiyo • Major: Computer Science • Minor: Creative Writing