Registration Help for Faculty and Staff Instructions for WebAdvisor Registration
Instructions specific to faculty and staff are below. Additional details and explanations for registration can be found at the general Registration Help site.
Quick overview of registration
Registration in Fall and Winter terms
- Students register for a full-time load during their class-year registration window. Beginning with Winter 2016 registration, students will have 'Pick One' followed by a 'Pick Three' window by class year.
- Students may add to waiting lists, but no waitlist offers are made during initial registration.
Adviser Electronic Approval for Advisees
- Approval is made by advisers by clicking an approval check-box in WebAdvisor and clicking through the confirmation screen.
- Department Head Registration Approval Proxy is back-up to all department faculty and their advisees.
- Individual instructors will submit the names of students who will be either a). granted consent to take a specific course section, or b). for whom the instructor is approving for an override to the prerequisite or a registration restriction, such as class-year or major-only requirements.
- For example, if a course description states: Prerequisites: ECON 101, sophomore standing and instructor consent; then the Instructor Consent process will override all three requirements.
- Instructors manage this by entering approved student usernames on a WebAdvisor screen (like rlee14).
- What instructor consent does NOT do: It is not online consent for a student to be added to a closed course or to be enrolled from the waiting list into a class. Instructor consent does not register a student in the class, it allows the student to register if their window is open and there is a seat available. It also allows them to waitlist on a course.
Waitlisting in Fall and Winter terms
- Students can add their name to a waiting list for any course section once a section has closed during registration.
- During initial registration (windows opening by class year), waiting lists are created once the active course limit for that class year has been reached. If a seat opens, even when a waiting list has started, a student can register into it. When the next class year window has opened, and if the active course limit has been increased, then students can enroll in the course even though a waiting list has started. Allowing students to enroll into waitlisted sections is turned off after initial registration for all class years as concluded.
- Students can only add to a waiting list if they would have been able to register in the class. So if "Instructor consent" is required for registration in the course, then they must have instructor consent to add to a waiting list.
- Instructors are encouraged to manage their waiting lists (if they wish) after class-year registration windows have closed and before waitlist offers are made (noon on Monday after registration).
- Note: There is no immediate or 'automatic' process by which a faculty member can 'click in' a student. Faculty can only re-rank students on their waiting lists.
- The process of offering seats to students on a waiting list will begin the Monday at noon after class-year registration and continue through the beginning of the term online drop-add.
- As a seat becomes available, and waitlist processing occurs, students on the waiting list for a course will receive an email indicating that that they have been offered a seat in the course and this gives them permission to register for the course. The waitlist offer is also noted on the students' "Holds and Registration Approvals" screen.
- Students are given a deadline by which to process a registration change after which the seat is offered to the next student on the list.
- Students cannot add onto the waitlist, unless they are eligible to register in the course.
- Students can waitlist on only one section of a multi-sectioned course.
- Department Heads can view and adjust waitlist ranks through the Dept Head/Program Waitlist Proxy link. Only the department head can adjust the active course limit for a section, in order to actively have an offer be made to the top-ranked student on the waiting list.
Department/Program Head Section Maintenance
- Department or Program Heads maintain section capacities and the instructor consent flag on course sections for your department or program.
- The Current Active Limit or Registration capacities (live caps utilized during registration) can be changed as registration windows open to allow different number of seniors, juniors, etc. into a course. Expected capacities are noted on the course offering list, so that students can project the number of students who will ultimately be allowed in the course.
- Only administrative assistants or the University Registrar's office can manage the global capacity limit set for cross-listed courses. It is important that the department head not adjust the active course limits for these sections, but have them managed through Colleague UI 4.3 and the administrative assistant. See the instructions for this.
Administrative Assistants - if desired by the department or program head, academic administrative assistants can be trained through the Datatel WebUI program to be the back-up for all of these processes (except adviser approval).
Registration for First-Year Students during Orientation
Detailed schedule here
- FY students will be trained on the WebAdvisor registration system on Monday of Orientation.
- On Tuesday students will enjoy the Academic Fair then meet with advisers over lunch and further into the afternoon if the adviser wishes.
- On Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 p.m. the "Pick One" registration window will open and allow FYs to register for their highest priority course (actually up to 4 credits for laboratory courses).
- On Wednesday morning, students will meet one-on-one with their advisers at assigned times: 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30 or 11:00 and complete a full-time load (min. 12 credits). Adviser 'approval to register' in WebAdvisor will be part of the Wednesday morning registration process and advisers are encouraged to approve registration one FY advisee at at time in case a student does not show up for their registration appointment. Waitlisting processes are suspended during FY registration.
- Students who do not have a full-time load by Wednesday at noon, will be invited to meet with the deans for registration clean-up from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in Elrod Commons 206 (Chavis Boardroom).
- Students are not able to register for a conflicted schedule. FY can add to waiting lists after noon on Wednesday.
- Drop/Add for all students begins on Wednesday at 5 p.m.