- Academic Division: The Williams School
- Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts
- Academic Programs: Major Requirements
- Course Offerings:
The Department of Politics at Washington and Lee University teaches students to be informed and active citizens of a free society, able to think about politics with rigor and nuance. We offer a wide array of courses in American government, political philosophy, global politics, and statistics and methods. We encourage students to pursue their education in an interdisciplinary manner and we provide opportunities to augment their study in off-campus and experiential learning programs.
To this end, the Politics Department faculty:
- Offer a broad, robust political science curriculum.
- Structure the major in an interdisciplinary spirit and encourage students to take advantage of off-campus and foreign study programs.
- Teach in a responsive, solicitous manner.
- Engage and contribute to the study of politics in the broader scholarly community.
- Teach courses that enable students to demonstrate competency in: Research and Analysis Objectively Evaluating Information and Arguments and Formulating their own thesis Integrating Knowledge into a broader understanding of Politics