Ongoing research with faculty - Students may earn credit during the academic year by participating in ongoing research conducted by faculty members. These projects are individually arranged and may earn up to 3 credits.
Presentations - Various opportunities exist for students to polish their presentation and communication skills.
- Science Society and the Arts (SSA) is a one-day university-wide symposium devoted to oral and poster presentations of student accomplishments.
- Occasionally the university funds student travel with professors to professional conferences.
- Ad hoc forums arranged by departments. In June, 2010, W&L hosted the first of what is to become an annual research forum, offering W&L summer research students a chance to interact with faculty, research associates, graduate and undergraduate students from Virginia Tech and other institutions. Research presentations of joint faculty/student work were given, and discussion periods allowed sharing of common interests.
Summer Research Scholars Program
Projects are chiefly of two types: assisting a professor in research or carrying out a student-planned project under the supervision of a professor. In either case, the supported work is conducted during the summer months.
Clubs and Organizations
- Engineers without Borders
The Mission of the Engineers Without Borders (EWB) Chapter at the Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee University is to combine the efforts of students of all majors and interests in a collaborative effort to enhance the living conditions of developing areas worldwide. Through this effort, students will increase their global perspective, work as a team to design and implement sustainable engineering solutions to improve the basic standard of living for these communities, and gain hands on experience in their fields.
- Sigma Pi Sigma
Sigma Pi Sigma, the national Physics Honor Society, honors outstanding scholarship in physics, encourages interest in physics among students, promotes service, and provides fellowship.
- Science, Society and the Arts Conference
Science, Society, and the Arts is a multi-disciplinary conference involving Washington and Lee undergraduates and law students in the presentation of their academic achievements before an audience of their peers and the faculty. Conference participants share their work via oral presentations, traditional academic-conference-style panels, poster sessions, artistic shows, or creative performances. Students, faculty, and staff may also choose to participate in colloquia organized around common readings proposed by interested Washington and Lee community members.
Study Abroad Opportunities
- Budapest Semesters in Mathematics
Hungary has a long tradition of excellence in mathematics education. However, because of the language barrier, students have not been able to take advantage of the skill and dedication of the mathematics faculties of Hungarian universities. Through this program, mathematics and computer science majors in their junior/senior years may spend one or two semesters in Budapest and study under the tutelage of eminent Hungarian scholar-teachers.
- St. Andrews - W&L Partnership
Washington and Lee University and the University of St Andrews have joined in a partnership, providing a quality study abroad experience for students in the sciences and students interested in the health professions.