Conference Travel

Travel procedures for the 2017-2018 academic year (beginning July 1, 2017)

For FY17-18, College faculty travel allotments will continue to allow a per trip maximum of $1,200 and a total possible allotment of $3,000 for qualified faculty.  In order to ensure the most equitable use of travel funds to benefit all College faculty, the following travel procedures must be followed.  Please review this page carefully.

Advanced notice is required for faculty conference travel:  the earlier the better!

The Conference Travel Request Form below must be completed and submitted PRIOR to any travel. Faculty are responsible for providing reasonably accurate travel estimates and for contacting the Dean's Office if approved travel is cancelled or travel plans change.  Please be aware that any change in travel plans that results in additional expenses must be pre-approved.  To ensure funding availability, faculty should submit a request form at the time a paper proposal or other work is sent in for consideration. 

For information about required International Travel Registration see

The University Travel and Business Expenses Guidelines can be found here

Subject to budgetary limits, reimbursements for conference expenses will be granted under the following conditions:

Eligibility  Tenured and tenure-track faculty members are eligible to request funds up to $3,000, plus two (2) registration fees totaling $800 maximum for two conferences.  Year-long, full-time temporary faculty are eligible to request funds up to $1,200, plus one (1) registration fee totaling $400 maximum for one conference.

Reimbursement Amounts    Each eligible conference trip should typically fall in the total $1,200 range (plus registration fee). Exceptions may be made by the appropriate dean for travel to high-cost urban cities or trips abroad. Faculty members are eligible for one professional (enrichment) meeting per academic year. Faculty members are eligible for a second meeting if presenting a refereed or invited paper; organizing and presiding at a special session of a program; holding a major office in a professional association or society and required to attend its annual meeting; or giving an artistic performance or exhibition. Registration fees exceeding $800 (or $400 for year-long, full-time temporary faculty) or approval for additional conferences may be permitted to the extent eligible faculty allotments can cover the expenses and if funding is available.

It should be understood that the purpose of conference travel funding is conference participation and attendance.  Conference funds cannot be used to pay for excessive or large taxi fares to restaurants or for other off-hours entertainment.

Travel Expenses Faculty members are expected to manage travel costs as effectively as possible.

Please refer to the links below for more information:

Expense Documentation Itemized receipts for legitimate transportation, meal and lodging expenses are required for reimbursement or for University credit card coding.  Faculty members cannot be reimbursed per diem and must have actual receipts. For international travel, faculty should try to get itemized receipts when available.  When they are not, please itemize by making notes on the receipt as to what was purchased.

Abstract submission fees, associated presentation costs (poster printing, postage, copying, shipping, batteries, etc.) and personal supplies (gum, toothpaste, aspirin, newspapers, magazines, etc.) will not be covered.   

Travel Voucher   A faculty member must submit a Travel Expense Voucher for all trip expenses, whether charged to a University credit card, personal credit card or paid by cash or check. Please work with your department administrative assistant to complete the travel voucher. The travel voucher must list every expense associated with the trip; there should be one (1) travel voucher per trip. Once a travel voucher has been processed, no additional expenses for that trip can be submitted for reimbursement.  A spreadsheet may accompany the travel voucher, but cannot replace it.

The travel voucher and all receipts must be submitted to Virginia Garrett for reimbursement within one week of travel completion.  Any travel voucher submitted more than a month after travel completion will be reviewed for funding availability before reimbursement.

Do not send the receipts to the Dean's Office without a completed travel voucher.  

Using a University Credit Card for Conference Travel  If expenses are paid by University credit card, itemized receipts and a travel voucher must still be submitted.  Credit card slips showing the total purchase only will not be accepted.  Faculty members using the University credit card to pay professional meeting expenses are responsible for coding the receipts using "11-7860-AAAAAA" and for listing credit card expenses on the travel voucher.

Pre-Paid Expenses  If a faculty member would like to be reimbursed for pre-paid airfare and/or registration prior to conference travel, please submit a Disbursement Voucher to the Office of the Dean of the College (with appropriate documentation) and indicate on the form that this is a travel advance for authorized travel and list the conference and dates. This travel advance should then be recorded on the Travel Expense Voucher.

See these links for examples of completed forms: Disbursement Voucher and Travel Expense Voucher

Updated January 12, 2017