Students at Washington and Lee can earn a Virginia state license in elementary, middle or secondary education. In consortium with Southern Virginia University, the University offers the coursework that is required for licensure. Students are encouraged to meet with the Director or Assistant Director of Teacher Education to discuss course and fieldwork requirements if they have interest in teaching.
A liberal arts education provides excellent preparation for elementary and secondary school teaching. All states require professional education courses for licensure to teach in public schools, although requirements differ from state to state. In most cases, students who meet the requirements for a Virginia license will receive initial licensure to teach in all other states through reciprocal agreements among state departments of education. In addition, many private secondary schools favor applicants who have been licensed through a state-approved program.
Students with an interest in education who lack the time to pursue a teaching license may take a selection of professional studies courses after consulting with the Director of Teacher Education. Opportunities also exist for varied field experiences in the local area schools.
I’m interested in Elementary Education Licensure…
I’m interested in Secondary and Middle Education Licensure…
I'm interested in the Education Minor...
- Please note that all students receiving teacher licensure in elementary, middle, or secondary education will meet the requirements to receive the education minor.
- The Education Minor is designed to provide students the opportunities for academic and field-based experiences related to teaching and curriculum development in schools. This minor is appropriate for students:
- Receiving teacher licensure
- Interested in teaching in a private school
- Interested in Teach for America
- Teaching Abroad
- Fulbright Scholarship
- Interested in fields related to children and education such as pediatrics, children's publishing, and school psychology
- Advising Sheet
I'm interested in the Education Policy Minor...
- The Education Policy Minor is an interdisciplinary minor designed to provide students opportunities for academic and field-based experiences focused on the economic, political, and historical issues surrounding schools. This minor is appropriate for students interested in fields such as:
- Education non-profits
- Education Law
- Federal and international education agencies
- Advising Sheet