University Sustainability Committee
In partnership with broader communities and mindful of the university's commitment to the Presidents Climate Commitment and the Tallories Declaration, the University Sustainability Committee aims to lead the university community in education and action toward sustainability.
The University Sustainability Committee was established in the fall of 2008 as an administrative committee charged with advising the president on matters related to sustainability efforts of Washington and Lee.
Charge of the Committee:
In early 2007, President Ruscio signed both the Talloires Declaration and the President's Climate Commitment. While Washington and Lee has long been committed to achieving a sustainable campus environment, as a signatory of these two important documents, W&L has made a public commitment to achieve specific goals.The charge of the newly created University Sustainability Committee will be to advise the president on matters related to sustainability efforts of Washington and Lee. The committee will report to the President of the University and will periodically report to the President's Council. The committee may establish task forces or subcommittees on specific topics or issues to report directly to the committee. Financial support for programs developed by the committee or for the committee's operations will be determined on an annual basis and within the University's regular budgeting process.
Specifically, the Committee will:
- Create a strategic plan that will guide the University in achieving the goals of the Talloires Declaration and President's Climate Commitment.
- Annually, identify and recommend to the President key programs and priorities for the year including a budget request to support Committee programming.
- In conjunction with the Environmental Management Coordinator, assure the submission of necessary reports to the governing bodies of these initiatives
- Serve as a clearing house for campus sustainability efforts through the provision of support for curricular and co-curricular efforts, including prioritizing needs and funding for programs that support the goals of the strategic plan
- Ensure that campus sustainability efforts are appropriately publicized.
- Coordinate campus efforts with the efforts of municipal organizations and the surrounding community
- Provide the President with an annual report that outlines the work of the committee and progress toward meeting the goals of the Talloires Declaration and President's Climate Commitment
Constituents to be represented on the University Sustainability Committee:
- Environmental Management Coordinator (1)
- Division of Student Affairs (1)
- Law School Faculty Member (1)
- Williams School Faculty Member (1)
- College Faculty Member (1)
- Undergrad Student (2)
- Law Student (1)
- Environmental Studies Faculty Member (1)
- Dean's Council Representative (1-year rotating appointment)
- Coordinator of Environmental Studies (1-Ex-Officio)
- Executive Assistant to the President (1-Ex-Officio)
- Executive Director of Facilities and Capital Planning (1-Ex-Officio)
- All members of the University Sustainability Committee are Presidential appointments except for the student representatives who are chosen by the Executive Committee
All members of the University Sustainability Committee are Presidential appointments except for the student representatives who are chosen by the Executive Committee.
Term of Office:
Appointment to this committee will carry a three-year term. When possible, student appointments should be staggered to provide for consistency. Terms for all inaugural members will be staggered to provide for membership consistency and renewal over the long-term.
Reporting and Funding Structure:
The University Sustainability Committee will report to the President of the University and will periodically report to the President's Council. The Committee may establish task forces or subcommittees on specific topics or issues to report directly to the Committee. Financial support for programs developed by the Committee or for the Committee's operations will be determined on an annual basis and within the University's regular budgeting process.