Housing FAQs for Students Participating in Study Abroad Programs
1. I am studying abroad Fall 2017. How to do I select a room for Winter 2018?
- Complete the Winter 2018 Housing Application which will be available from your eRezLife Housing Dashboards in October. The application provides the opportunity to request a specific room assignment for Winter term and/or list your housing preferences.
- If you have identified a student to swap rooms with, ensure the student going abroad Winter 2018 submits a Winter Housing Intent Form (which will be available in October) from his/her eRezLife Housing Dashboard.
- Mail your housing deposit of $150.00 to the Business Office - check payable to Washington and Lee University. DO NOT MAIL CASH. Write "2017-2018 Housing Deposit" in the memo and mail as follows:
Attn: Accounts Receivable, Business Office
Washington and Lee University
204 W Washington Street
Lexington, VA 24450
The Business Office does NOT accept credit or debit card payments. If you have a minimum of $150 in available funds/general debit on your student account, you may request funds be transferred as your Housing Deposit by contacting the Business Office at 540-458-8732 or email email@example.com. If Housing Deposits are not paid by December 1, 2017, a "Housing Hold" will be placed on the respective student account.
- Winter Term Room Assignments will post to eRezLife Housing Dashboards on/before Friday, November 18 (prior to Thanksgiving Break)
2. How do I login to my eRezLife Housing Dashboard to complete a Winter Housing Application or Winter Housing Intent Form?
Instructions for completing housing applications when housing applications open in October:
- Login to eRezLife using your W&L username and password. Only currently enrolled undergraduate students have access to eRezLife. Students on approved leaves planning to return for Winter term must contact the Office of Residential Life directly to confirm or secure Winter term housing assignments. Additionally, the Office of Residential Life will work directly with students applying for reinstatement Winter term.
- Click on "Housing Applications" which takes you to your Housing Dashboard
- Under Winter 2018 Applications, click on "Apply" next to Housing Contract - complete the contract first and then proceed to the Winter Housing Application (for those currently abroad) which is available under the "Apply for Specialty Housing" tab or Winter Housing Intent/Study Abroad Form (for students assigned to campus housing Fall term)
- Complete the entire application/form (each form contains multiple sections)
- Click "Confirm and Submit" on the final Agreement Section to submit your form.
3. How do I find out what rooms are available Winter Term 2018? A private Facebook group titled "W&L Study Abroad: Housing Connections 2018" has been created by the Junior Advisory Group (JAG) in order to provide a communication platform to assist students in identifying room swap opportunities. The Office of Residential Life will honor all mutual room swap requests if submitted via the proper applications/forms by the advertised deadlines. It is important to communicate with ALL current residents in the apartment/townhouse where you intend to reside to ensure a smooth transition back to campus. Be sure to complete the Winter Housing Application by the deadline and indicate your building and room style preferences in rank order. The office of Residential Life will work with those students unable to secure a room swap.
4. If I am going abroad Winter term, can I designate someone currently abroad to take my room for Winter/Spring term? Yes. Residential Life Staff will work closely with students who are interested in living with a specific group of people by "swapping out" particular spaces where for example the student studying abroad in the Fall moves into the room of the student who will be studying abroad Winter/Spring term. We will honor mutual requests, but good planning and communication is essential for this to occur. Winter Housing Applications and Winter Housing Intent Forms will open within eRezLife in October with placements announced before Thanksgiving Break. Room swaps are not final until approved by the Office of Residential Life. You will not be penalized if you are unable to find someone to fill your room.
5. When will I know if my room swap has been approved by the Office of Residential Life? Once your Winter term housing assignment has been made/approved by the Office of Residential Life, your assignment will post to your eRezLife Housing Dashboard. All placements will be announced prior to Thanksgiving Break.
6. Can I move to another apartment/townhouse if 2 or more people in my unit are leaving for Study Abroad? Possibly. We will approve requests for apartment/townhouse consolidations on a case-by-case basis in the Village and Woods Creek only if every person remaining moves to create a vacant, available unit. We will NOT approve students requesting to move from a Greek or theme house into the Village. Students wishing to consolidate should fill out the Winter Housing Intent Form prior to the deadline. In this situation, each person involved in the consolidation (students requesting the move as well as those in the target apartment/house) must complete the Winter Housing Intent Form by the advertised deadline in order to mutually agree to the consolidation.
7. If I am going abroad Winter term, when do I need to completely move out of campus housing? You will need to move out completely before you leave for Winter Break. Residence Halls officially close for Winter Break at 5pm on Saturday, December 16, 2017. (See Residence Hall Dates)
8. Will my assigned room be cleaned by University staff before my return to campus from abroad? Yes - Facilities Staff will be asked over winter break to clean all bedrooms vacated at the end of Winter term. In the event of room consolidations, students must completely move into the consolidated apartment/townhouse room BEFORE leaving campus for winter break so there will be limited time for Facilities staff to clean if so desired. If additional time is needed to move into the consolidated unit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission. Cleaning is not provided for common areas in the Village or Woods Creek apartments.
9. When can I move into campus housing if I am abroad Fall term? Students returning from Fall Study Abroad may move into campus housing on Thursday, January 4, 2018 which is two days before the Residence Halls officially reopen to all students on Saturday, January 6, 2017. (See Residence Hall Dates)
10. What if I am unable to work out a room swap by the Housing Application deadline?
Be sure to complete the Winter Housing Application by the deadline and indicate your building and room style preferences in rank order. The office of Residential Life will work with you on a placement based on your preferences and space availability.
11. What happens if plans change for the student living in campus housing Fall term 2017 and he/she no longer intends to leave campus Winter term 2018? Last minute planning could impact your housing assignment. Written notification from the student declining to participate in the Winter study abroad program must be received on/before Friday, December 15, 2017 along with confirmation from the Center for International Education. After December 15, the student no longer going abroad Winter Term 2018 forfeits his/her Fall term 2017 room assignment to the returning student that has been assigned for Winter Term 2018. The student returning to campus for Winter Term 2018 will be permitted to live in the room as assigned unless an alternative, mutual agreement is reached between students. The student no longer going abroad will be reassigned to a different campus housing room by the Office of Residential Life in order to comply with the 3 year residency requirement.
12. What if I'm going abroad Winter Term 2018 and want to return to campus housing for a Spring Term 2018 course?
Spring term housing applications will be available in March. Housing considerations will only be made for those enrolled in a spring term course. Students going abroad Winter Term 2018 must completely move out of campus housing at the end of Fall Term 2017. Residence Halls close at 5pm on Saturday, December 16, 2017 - see Residence Hall Dates. Your room will likely be reassigned to a student that has been abroad Fall term. You may NOT store any items in campus housing while abroad.
13. I plan to study abroad Spring Term 2018 only. Will my student account be credited for my Spring Term housing?
No. Winter/Spring term housing is billed as one term. No financial credits are issued for study abroad Spring Term.
Still have questions? Email email@example.com.