What to Bring
The items listed here are suggestions from our residential life staff. You should not view this list as inclusive of everything you should pack.
- Mattress pad (TWIN, EXTRA LONG). Actual Mattress Dimensions: 39" x 80" x 6".
- Sheets (TWIN, EXTRA LONG). Having trouble finding extra-long bedding to fit the mattresses in our halls? Residence Halls Linens can help! Click here!
- Over-the-door hooks
- Laundry hamper (If you choose to use the laundry service, they will provide a mesh bag.)
- Curtains and a tension rod (Each room has shades. The windows measure 48" wide by 64" high.) You may NOT install brackets for curtain rods with nails or screws.
- Formal clothes
- Storage containers
- Shower/toiletry basket or caddy
- Shower shoes
- Fan (floor, box, or tower)
- Alarm clock
- Small vacuum or dustbuster
- Umbrella, raincoat, and rain boots
- Trash can
- Sewing kit
- Iron and small ironing board
- Rug (The floors are COLD in the winter!)
- 3M Command strips and hooks. Masking tape or other clean-removal "dorm tape" such as Mavalus brand are recommended for hanging items. NOTE: Nails/Screws are not permitted. You will be charged at check-out for any damages to your room, including nail holes and paint chips. You will want to be careful when removing Command strips/tape to ensure no residue is left behind and as not to chip the paint.
- Full-length mirror
- Lamps (floor and/or desk), preferably CFL or LED in order to conserve energy (The rooms have overhead, fluorescent lighting) Halogen lamps are prohibited.
- Small tool kit
- Cleaning supplies
- Bed lifts (aka bed risers) to create more storage space under your bed
- Extension cords, power strips, computer cords, etc.
- Lee Chapel (business professional) attire
If you forget anything there is a Wal-Mart a few miles from campus. If you have a roommate be sure to communicate about shared items: a rug, TV (one coax cable is required), DVD player, game console, Microfridge, etc.
WHAT NOT TO BRING
Alcohol and drugs are NOT allowed in any residence hall at any time, for any reason. Smoking is NOT allowed in or near any campus buildings.
For fire safety reasons, no candles, incense, space heaters, cooking appliances, or halogen lamps are allowed. The one and only exception to cooking appliances is the Microfridge unit, which includes a microwave, refrigerator, and a freezer. Do NOT bring firearms, ammunition or weapons to campus. The use or storage of self-balancing two-wheel motorized boards, self-propelled electric scooters, and similar devices, also known as Hover boards, Swagways, IO Hawks, Skywalkers, etc. is strictly prohibited. Additionally, all on campus residents are required to comply with the policies, guidelines, and expectations for students outlined in the Washington and Lee Student Handbook.
We discourage First-Year students from bringing a vehicle to campus. The parking lot is a mile from the residence halls and very crowded. It's closer and faster to walk into town, and the Maury Express shuttle runs to Wal-Mart and Kroger on weekends.