Location and Hours
Contact UsUniversity Counseling Center
116 Early-Fielding Building
204 W. Washington St.
Lexington, VA 24450
While your privacy is important to us, we cannot guarantee the confidentiality of electronic communications. Please call or see us in person if you need to discuss or disclose sensitive information.
Hours of Operation
- 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, when undergraduate classes are in session.
- 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, when undergraduate classes are not in session.
- Closed from 12 Noon -1 PM daily for lunch.
- Closed during Thanksgiving break, during Winter break, and during the summer from mid-June to mid-August.
Scheduling an Appointment
If you wish to schedule an appointment please come to the Counseling Center during regular hours of operation, call 540-458-8590 to speak to our administrative assistant, or e-mail email@example.com . If you leave a voice message or send an e-mail please make sure to include your contact information and availability. If you are a new client you will need to complete our New Client Registration Form and submit that for review before an intake appointment will be scheduled.
For Urgent Needs
The 11 AM appointment hour is held open daily for students with "urgent needs," as determined by consultation with the Counseling Center staff. Please call the Counseling Center ASAP and speak to the staff if you believe you need to be seen the same day. If you are a new client you will also need to complete and submit the New Client Registration Form to provide pertinent information (available on the web site or in the Counseling Center). If you feel that you have an urgent need and are unable to be seen by a counselor the same day, and/or if it is after regular hours when the Counseling Center is closed, you should come to the Student Health Center for assistance. A nurse is available at the Student Health Center 24/7 and can contact the medical provider and/or the counselor on call, if needed.
For Mental Health Emergencies
- Contact Public Safety at 540-458-8889 to access campus resources
- Come directly to the Student Health Center (open 24/7 during undergraduate sessions)
- Call the Rockbridge Area Community Services Behavioral Health Crisis Hotline at 855-222-2046
- Call 911 for emergency response to your location by community resources
For students who prefer to go off-campus for counseling or mental health treatment, private practice clinicians are available in the community. These providers may or may not participate in health insurance plans. Any costs associated with such care are the responsibility of the student. Please be aware that the University Counseling Center operates under the same legal standards of confidentiality as private practitioners. In cases where academic function is affected by mental health issues, coordination of possible academic adjustments or other academic planning (with a student's permission) is often easier when treatment is received on-campus with clinicians who are familiar with W&L's academic processes. Please contact the University Counseling Center by phone or e-mail if you would like a list of private practice counselors and therapists in the Lexington area.