Student Health Insurance
Good health is essential to your academic success. Therefore, Washington and Lee University requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students to carry personal health insurance. All international students are required to purchase the Student Health Insurance Plan sponsored by Washington and Lee.
You may already be covered or be eligible for coverage under a group health plan of a parent's employer or under a parent's individual health insurance policy if you are under the age of 26. Contact the plan administrator of the parent's employer plan or the parent's individual health insurance issuer for more information. If you are already covered by a U.S. based, ACA compliant health insurance plan you do not need to purchase the Washington and Lee University sponsored plan, but you must complete an insurance waiver form each year by July 31, even if you have already submitted the Student Health Insurance Information Form to the University. The waiver form may be completed online at www.firststudent.com - select Washington and Lee University from the drop down menu and click on "Waive Your School's Insurance." To access the waiver form, you will need to enter your date of birth and Student ID number. You will be asked to answer some questions about the coverage for certain healthcare categories under your health insurance plan. You will also be asked to supply the following information about your health insurance plan: the name and U.S. address of the insurance carrier, policyholder's name, policy number and toll free number for claims service. If you do not complete the online waiver form by the July 31 deadline you will be enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan and your University account will be billed for the cost of the premium.
If you do not currently have health insurance coverage, you have the option of purchasing the Washington & Lee University sponsored plan insured with United Healthcare. See below for a brief summary of this Plan. Please access more detailed information about the Student Health Insurance Plan at www.firststudent.com - select Washington and Lee University from the drop down menu and click on "Brochures, Flyers & SBC." You may apply online at www.firststudent.com - select Washington and Lee University and click "Enroll Now--Health Insurance." If you enroll, the cost of the student insurance will be billed to your University account. Dependents, including Domestic Partners, may also be enrolled in this plan on a voluntary basis after the eligible student has enrolled in the plan.
The Student Health Insurance Plan is underwritten by United Healthcare. The Policy is a Non-Renewable One-Year Term Policy. Policy terms and conditions are subject to regulatory approval. Please read the certificate of coverage to determine whether this plan is right for you before you enroll. The program certificate of coverage provides details of the coverage including costs, benefits, exclusions, any reductions or limitations and the terms under which the coverage may be continued in force. Copies of the program certificate are available from the University, or may be viewed and downloaded at www.firststudent.com. If you have any questions, please contact Paige Fritze at 800.346.4075 ext. 1607 or email Washington.Lee@RCMD.com.
Highlights of the Coverage and Services offered by United Healthcare Student Resources:
- Gold level plan designation
- No Overall Maximum Dollar Limit for Covered Medical Expenses
- No exclusion or limitations for pre-existing conditions
- In network, out of pocket maximum of $6,850 per insured/$12,700 per family with all per service deductibles/copays, coinsurance and policy deductibles applicable toward the out of pocket maximum
- $150 Deductible per Insured Person, Per Policy Year for Preferred Providers, $400 Deductible per Insured Person, Per Policy Year for Out of Network Providers
- Covered Medical Expenses for Preferred Providers are payable at 80% of Preferred Allowance and Out of Network benefits are payable at 60% of Usual and Customary charges (all benefits are subject to satisfaction of the deductible, specific benefit limitations, maximums and copays as described in the policy)
- Prescription Drug Benefits: Prescription drugs are paid at $20/$45/$70 copay up to a 31-day supply per prescription
- The Preferred Provider Network for this plan is United Healthcare Choice Plus. Preferred Providers can be found using the following link, www.firststudent.com
- MyAccount, available through www.firststudent.com, allows insured students access 24/7 to check their claim status, search for network providers, print ID cards, enter accident details, view EOBs and enter additional insurance information online
- Annual Enrollment Deadline Date – July 31, 2017
- You may enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan at other times during the year if you experience a qualifying life event
Please note - specific details as to plan and premiums for 2017 -2018 will be posted and sent to students in late June. For further information please contact our insurance administrator: RCM&D, Paige Fritze at 800.346.4075 ext. 1607 or email: Washington.Lee@RCMD.com.