Being Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Questioning (LGBTQ) at W&L
Coming to college is a big transition. Finding a community of peers eases that transition and can be a crucial part of feeling at home on campus.
st year student you will meet our LGBTQ Peer Counselors, have an opportunity to visit the LGBTQ students and allies group table at the Student Activities Fair, and of course enjoy activities year round.
For more information about Washington & Lee University's LGBTQ community contact Rallie Snowden, the LGBTQ Coordinator for campus or go to the LGBTQ Resource Center's website. And welcome to campus and to our community!
- Finding Our Truth: A weekly peer support group for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning undergraduate and law students intended to help provide support and to help students build friendships and a sense of community. Contact: Rallie Snowden, LCSW, 540-458-4888, email@example.com.
- LGBTQ Peer Counselors: A Peer Counseling program aimed at providing confidential, nonjudgmental support. Look for posters around campus.
- Generals' Unity: An LGBTQ and Allies student group designed to promote a friendly and supportive environment on campus through educational and social activities.
- University Counseling (located in Early Fielding): There are four counselors in the University Counseling Center; who have expertise in supporting LGBTQ students. You can schedule an appointment with any counselor by calling 540-458-8590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion (located in Elrod Commons): Director: Tammy Futrell, Associate Dean of Students
- Safe Space Program: Educational training offered to faculty, staff, and students on LGBTQ issues and how to be an ally.
- LGBTQ Resource Center (located at 19 University Place, 2nd floor): Provides a safe space for students to socialize, study, and access resources.
- Confidential HIV testing at Student Health Center 540-458-8401 or Rockbridge County Health Department 540-463-3185
- Equality Virginia
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network
- The Advocate - The national gay & lesbian newsmagazine Internet site
- The Trevor Helpline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR (1-866-488-7386)
- The Gay, Lesbian , Bisexual, Transgender National Hotline: 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
- The GLBT National Youth Talkline (provides phone and email peer counseling through age 25): 1-800-246-7743