SMOKING: What's the incentive to stop now?
FACT: 92% of people who smoke 100 cigarettes in their lifetime become daily smokers
- 5 packs of cigarettes.
- If you smoke only at parties and have 3-5 cigarettes/party and continue this practice 3 x per week, you will have had 100 cigarettes in just one term.
- Nicotine goes to the brain in less than 19 seconds and releases dopamine in the brain, which stimulates the reward system. Thus, nicotine is more addictive than cocaine and heroin.
- For those of you who are social smokers and think you can stop anytime or when you finish college: look at your smoking habits.
- Ask yourself: Am I addicted?
- In the past year have you ever smoked more than you wanted to? In the past year have you ever felt you wanted to cut down?
If you answered yes, you may be addicted.
If you want help quitting, call:
Student Health Center..............540-458-8401
Office of Health Promotion........540-458-4501
Use the Cost of Smoking Calculator
http://betobaccofree.hhs.gov: Provides a "one-stop-shop" for the best and most up-to-date tobacco-related information from across its agencies. This consolidated resource includes general information on tobacco, federal and state laws and policies, health statistics, evidence-based methods on how to quit, and much more.
Tobacco Free College Initiative: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) created the Tobacco-Free College Campus Initiative (TFCCI) to promote and support the adoption and implementation of tobacco-free policies at universities, colleges, and other institutions of higher learning across the United States.
UVA's Web page on tobacco: Lots of tips on how to quit.
http://quitnet.com: The site offers tips, tools, questionnaires, as well as a chat room where smokers can post messages and receive instant support from other members who are online. Quitnet is free, but offers more personalized support for a small fee.
Quit Now Virginia: Health risks, the case for quitting, and how to quit,
To quit using dip see My Last Dip for helpful suggestions you can do on your own.