Flavors of Spain October 1 - 9, 2017
Dear W&L Alumni, Parents, and Friends
I'm pleased to invite you to join fellow W&L travelers on a fascinating-and delicious,-journey to Spain's Costa Brava region. The renowned "rugged coast" of Catalonia has its own remarkable natural beauty, distinctive art, and unique architecture. Beyond the storied history of the region, we'll discover how the gracious Catalans employ traditional ingredients fresh from farm and sea to create the region's exceptional cuisine.
In this, the latest of our popular "Flavors" programs, we have chosen another beautiful, boutique inn for our accommodations. Located just outside of Girona, El Racó de Madremanya offers convenient access for exploring the region. Modern comforts and old world charm blend together in a tastefully refurbished 17th-century property set within a medieval village and surrounded by lush gardens. The spacious common areas provide ample space for relaxation after an exciting day of exploration.
In addition to enjoying the historic sights of Costa Brava, we'll devote each day to authentic experiences with chefs, winemakers, artisan producers. We'll savor many of the outstanding Cata Ionian recipes and wines in exclusive cooking classes, tastings, and guided tours. Join us as we revel in Spain's celebrated art, architecture, and history with visits to world-famous sites and cultural monuments.
Space is limited as the W&L Traveller's Flavors programs are quite popular. Rates for W&L travelers represent a savings of more than $800 per couple over those applied to non-affiliated guests, so we urge you to reserve your spot without delay. Please reserve by calling 540.458.8723 or by returning the enclosed reservation form.
Robert Fure, Ph.D., Director of Special Programs
Savor Stunning Spain
Delight in the leisurely exploration of Costa Brava's beautiful attractions, marvel at fascinating works of art, and relax in the comforts of your accommodations.
In a country overflowing with unique history and scenery, you'll visit ancient ruins, stroll down exquisite Mediterranean beaches, discover picturesque coves, and explore charismatic towns and villages. Without hesitation, you'll embrace the captivating country that was inspiration for 20th Century artists including Joan Miró, Pablo Picasso, and Salvador Dalí.
|1||R||En route from U.S.|
|2||L, D||Arrive Barcelona/Empordá, Spain; Welcome dinner.|
|3||B, D||Girona; Historical walking tour, Jewish Quarter, paella cooking class|
|4||B, L, D||Púbol/Figueres/Cantallops; Tours of Dalí Castle and Dalí Theatre-Museum, vineyard visit to award-winning Masia Serra with wine tasting and dinner|
|5||B, L, D||Sant Pere de Rodes/Cadaqués/Peratallada; Benedictine monastery visit, medieval village stroll, sausage tasting and lunch, wine presentation and dinner|
|6||B, L, D||Empúries; Greco-Roman ruins, anchovy curing demonstration, dinner at Michelin-rated Bo-Tic|
|7||B, L, D||La Bisbal/Llafranc/Palamós;Figueras i Fills pottery workshop, seaside stroll, Sant Sebastiá lighthouse, Sant Sebastiá de la Guarda, visit Museu de la Pesca and attend a live fish auction, cooking class|
|8||B, L, D||Empordá; Gold medal-winning La Vinyeta winery visit and tasting, special farewell dinner|
Activity Level: Guests should be able to enjoy two hours or more of walking, be sure-footed on cobbled surfaces, and walk up and down stairs without assistance.
- With your small group (maximum 22 guests). enjoy seven nights accommodations at our sophisticated boutique hotel located in Empordá.
- Visit the charming town of Girona, where you'll sample treats at a local artisanal shop and see the impressive Cathedral. Explore the Jewish Quarter, one of the best preserved in the world.
- Meet the owner of Masia Serra winery, an esteemed enologist, and enjoy a wine tasting paired with typical Catalan delicacies for a memorable meal.
- On guided tours of Púbol Castle and the Dalí Theatre-Museum, take in the broad spectrum of Dalí's art in a variety of mediums, including paintings, sculptures, engravings, installations, photography, and more.
- Take a guided tour of the Greco-Roman ruins site in Empúries - the gateway of the romanization of the Iberian Peninsula.
- Visit Museu de la Pesca - a fishery museum, experience a live fish auction, then stroll a market to peruse ingredients you'll use later during a cooking demonstration.
- Discover the winery La Vinyeta. Meet the owner and vintner, stroll the grounds among verdant vineyards and olive trees, then enjoy a wine and olive oil tasting before dinner.
- 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 7 dinners served with wine
- All lessons, private tours, and unique small-group excursions noted on the 9-day itinerary
- Visits to artisanal shops plus special tastings
- Full guiding services of an Orbridge Travel Director and expert local guides
- Private motor coach transportation, luggage handling, and airport transfers for guests arriving and departing during the suggested times
- Gratuities to Orbridge Travel Director, local guides, drivers, and porters
Originally a 17th-century farmhouse set in a medieval stone village, El Racó de Madremanya is a gorgeously restored property that features an enchanting warmth and sophistication, which will surround you as you settle into your room. The boutique hotel1s on-site proprietor, Ivan, departed the corporate world to refocus his energy towards the hospitality industry-his true passion. Welcoming guests as he would close friends, lvan1s engaging personality sweetens the already congenial atmosphere.
Located in The Golden Triangle of Catalonia, you1II be near a variety of local attractions, glorious beaches, and quaint villages.
Property amenities include lush gardens, fresh water pool, salt water pool, sitting room with library, free Wi-Fi, and fireplace.
All rooms have been carefully detailed with individual color themes and matching aromatherapy for a unique personality. Each includes individual heating and air-conditioning, local television, telephone, minibar, slippers and bathrobe, and en suite bathroom with shampoo/conditioner and hairdryer.
|Standard I||Charming room featuring a European queen bed, and stone floors and walls throughout.||$3,995|
|Standard II||Romantic room featuring a European queen bed, stone walls throughout, and terrace with garden and pool views.||$4,495
|Superior||Larger room located in the farmhouse featuring stone walls, unique features, and views of the garden or village. Features a European queen bed or European king bed.||$4,995|
|Junior Suite||Bright and spacious room located in the contemporary buildings with outdoor garden terraces and a variety of distinct features. Features a European queen bed or European king bed.||$5,495|
|Suite||Desirable room featuring a European king bed, separate living room, full bathroom with hydro-massage tub and shower, and terrace with easy pool and garden access.||$5,995|
Optional Extension: Barcelona
Discover one of the oldest cities in Europe, one that boasts a marriage of contrasts - historic streets and buildings that have survived more than two thousand years alongside unique architecture designed by Gaudí as recently as the early 1900s.
|9||B||Barcelona; Gothic Quarter walking tour, Jewish Quarter and El Born district, Plaça Reial (Royal Square), the Fountain of the Three Graces, Carrer Ferran, Plaça del Pi, Carrer Petritxol, Plaça Sant Jaume, Plaça del Rei (King's Square), and Plaça Sant Felip Neri.|
|10||B||Barcelona; Panoramic city tour, views from Montjuic, La Sagrada Familia (inside visit).|
|11||B||Barcelona; Day at leisure.|
- Private transfer from Emporda to Barcelona3 nights accommodations at Hotel Claris or similar, with breakfast each morning
- Guided tours of the Gothic Quarter and La Sagrada Familia
This extension costs $1,595 ($2,295 for single).
The Fine Print
Registration, Deposits and Final Payment
To confirm and secure your reservation, a deposit of $850 per person per program, a deposit for any extension(s), and any non-refundable advanced payments, payable by check, online check/ACH, money order, wire transfer of same day U.S. Funds, or major credit card, is due at the time of registration. Final payment, including any extension(s) and optional(s), is payable by check, online check/ACH, money order, or wire transfer of same day U.S. funds ONLY and due no later than 90 days prior to the scheduled program departure date. If your reservation is made fewer than 90 days prior to departure, the entire cost of the program, including any extension(s) and optional(s), is due at the time of registration by check, money order, or wire transfer of same day U.S. funds ONLY. If final payment is not received by Orbridge at least 90 days prior to the scheduled program departure date, Orbridge may, at any time and with or without notice, cancel your reservation in its sole discretion with no right of refund. All payments we receive from you are herein defined as "Payments."
Cancellations and Refunds
All cancellations must be submitted to Orbridge in writing and will be subject to a cancellation fee ("Cancellation Fee") as follows:
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge 275 or more calendar days prior to the scheduled departure date, all deposits will be fully refunded;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orb ridge between 274 and 151 days prior to the scheduled departure date, the Cancellation Fee will be $500 per person per program and $300 per person per program for extensions;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge between 150 and 91 days prior to the scheduled departure date the Cancellation Fee will be the full deposit per person per program including any extension;
- if the cancellation notice is received by Orbridge 90 or fewer days prior to the scheduled departure date, the Cancellation Fee will be the full program price.
In addition to and not in lieu of the foregoing, a Cancellation Fee equal to 100% of the carrier charge applies to all non-refundable airfares due to your cancellation made at any time prior to the scheduled program departure date, as applicable. Refunds, if any, of any Payments in excess of the aggregate Cancellation Fee shall be processed within 30 calendar days of our receipt of your written notice.
For complete Terms & Conditions, visit http://terms.orbridge.com. 866.639.0079