Student Affairs Committee (faculty)
Student Affairs Committee (SAC) is composed of the VP for Student Affairs and Dean of Students (chair), the Dean of Student Life, the School of Law's primary student-affairs administrator, six members elected by and from the University Faculty (undergraduate and law) from among those not already on the University Board of Appeals and including at least one from the Department of Physical Education, Athletics, and Recreation and one elected by and from the Law Faculty. Student members are the President of the Student Body, the Chair of the Student Judicial Council (SJC), the Head Resident Assistant, the President of the Student Bar Association (SBA), the second-year representative to SBA, an elected representative of the Office of Inclusion and Engagement (OIE) Advisory Board, the President of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), the President of the Panhellenic Council (PC), and an at-large student representative. SAC is responsible for reviewing issues affecting student life, for recommending to the University Faculty changes in University policy on non-curricular student matters, and for overseeing Greek life including the maintenance and review of the Standards for Fraternities/Sororities. With authority delegated by the University Faculty, SAC oversees the judicial procedures of SJC, IFC, PC, HSMB, and the resident advisers in university housing.
Each year, the then-current members of SAC shall elect, by majority vote, a student to fill the student representative at-large position on SAC. The student selected for this position should represent perspectives and/or constituencies otherwise underrepresented on SAC. The nominations process for the student representative at-large position will be coordinated by the Office of Student Affairs in consultation with SAC. The committee meets at 12:15 pm every Friday during the academic term.
The three areas of primary responsibility for SAC are:
- serving as a University forum for the discussion, debate and dissemination of issues and information affecting student life;
- recommending changes in University policy on non-curricular student issues directly to the University Faculty; and
- overseeing student judicial procedures.
SAC also serves as a University forum for issues affecting student life, and it may recommend changes in University policy on non-curricular student issues directly to the faculty.
SAC assumes jurisdiction over all student affairs not covered by other committees. It is also an advisory board to the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs.
When SAC requires a replacement, the one person rotating off every two years will be regarded as the alternate, and the two Faculty rotating off every third year will be regarded as the alternates. The one person rotating off will be chosen to be the substitute in each of those two years with the replacement in the year that two rotate off being chosen by lot. When the person or persons rotating off cannot serve as a replacement, the committee will turn to those who rotated off in the previous year, etc.
Sidney Evans, Chair
Ex Officio Members:
- Sidney Evans, VP for Student Affairs and Dean of Students
- David Leonard, Dean of Student Life
- Trenya Mason, Assistant Dean of Law Student Affairs
Six Elected Faculty Members, three-year terms - Four University Faculty, One Law Faculty, One Physical Education, Athletics and Recreation Faculty:
- Caleb Dance - 2019-2020 (replacing Florentien Verhage - 2017-2020)
- Jill Fraley (LS) - (replacing Caroline Osborne (LS)- 2017-2020)
- Brooke O'Brien (PE) - 2018-2021
- Julia Youngman - 2018-2021
- Mohamed Kamara - 2019-2022
- Julie Woodzicka - 2019-2022
Nine Students - ex officio, by virtue of student office held:
- Roy Abernathy '20L, Student Bar Association President
- William Bolton '20U, Student Executive Committee President
- Anna Marie Chiwanga '21L, Second-year Student Bar Association Representative
- Rexx Hallyburton '20U, Interfraternity Council President
- Joseph Jast '20U (Head RA) / Austin York '20U (Head CA), Head Resident Adviser
- Catherine Latour '20U, Panhellenic President
- Joëlle Simeu '20U, Student Judicial Council Chair
- Sasha Edwards '20U, Office of Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Board representative
- ? to be named, At-Large Student representative