Institutional Animal Care and Use
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) is composed of seven members, including the following:
• four members of the University faculty;
• one non-faculty member of the University community;
• one veterinarian; and
• one person who is not affiliated with the University in any way other than as a member of the IACUC and is not a member of the immediate family of a person who is affiliated with the University.
Of these individuals, at least one must be a practicing scientist experienced in research involving animals and one must be a person whose primary concerns are in a nonscientific area (e.g., ethicist, lawyer, a member of the clergy).
All members of the IACUC are appointed by the President or his or her designee, as specified in writing.
The IACUC is charged to review, approve, revise, and monitor protocols for all research and instructional use of vertebrate animal species. These protocols must comply with relevant federal and state laws and regulations and should also reflect public concerns about the humane treatment of animals, veterinary expertise in laboratory animal care, accepted standards of appropriate facilities, and protection against unsubstantiated allegations against investigators.
Robert Stewart, Chair
Four Appointed Faculty Members - One annually for 4-year term:
- Stu Gray - 2019-2023
- Paul Cabe - 2016-2020
- Natalia Toporikova - 2017-2021
- Robert Stewart - 2017-2022
One Member from University Community - 4-year term:
- Zach Nix - 2019-2023
One Member from Community - 3-year term:
- Fred Fevrier, M.D. - 2017-2020
One Veterinarian - 3-year term:
- Philip Bailey, DVM- 2017-2020