Safe Travel Guidelines for Employees
What do I need to do to prepare for travel abroad?
- Please be aware that customs may confiscate anything you bring
- Change your password
- Update your wi-fi (eduroam) connection by forgetting/adding back to all devices with your full email as your username
- On Mac uncheck "Remember networks this computer has joined" before removing eduroam and leave that setting during your travels
- Update email with your new password on appropriate devices
- Back up any personal data to a safe location or cloud storage option. Make sure to store all University and research data in Box to ensure it is safe.
- Update your device and programs, including anti-virus and anti-malware, and myVI or VPN (test your updated connections)
- If allowed by country you are traveling to encrypt your device
- Faculty and Staff should Register on the "Travel Registry" page. If you do NOT register your foreign travel (business or personal), your account might get blocked
- Consult with ITS if you have any questions or concerns
What do I need to know while traveling?
- Use loaner laptops whenever possible - send request to firstname.lastname@example.org with dates and countries of travel
- Keep devices(s) with you if possible
- Use passwords to lock and unlock your device (preferably not biometrics: fingerprint, facial, retinal)
- Keep track of login credentials used so you can change them upon returning to the states
- Avoid visiting any website the requires login credentials unless needed while traveling
- Use different PIN numbers than you use at home on items such as a hotel safe, etc.
- Use myVI or VPN to access W&L resources and approved cloud services like Box
- Use private browsing to prevent credentials from being cached or clear your browsing history after each use
- Do not plug in untrusted accessories (flash drives, charging cables, memory cards) as these may install malware and steal data
- Turn off devices when not in use
- Assume Wi-Fi is insecure, utilize eduroam when possible and VPN
- Do not join networks automatically; turn off Wireless, Bluetooth, and GPS when not being used
- Do not use public devices to log into any University resources or use public charging stations
- Report device theft promptly to the US Embassy or Consulate and to ITS if a University device
- If you suspect your credentials have been compromised, contact ITS immediately so we can lock your W&L account
- Please review this government site on International Travel, and be aware of your destination country's laws and cultural customs
What do I need to do when I return from travel abroad?
- Avoid immediately connecting to personal or work networks prior to running full anti-virus and anti-malware scans
- Change all credentials used during your travels at the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn library
- Forget and add back the eduroam network
- If you have traveled to any country in Asia we strongly suggest you go to the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn library
How can I find additional help or support?
For more information, please contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4537 (HELP) or email@example.com PRIOR to leaving campus