Careers and Graduate Study
Here are just a few of the careers that use mathematics:
- Actuarial Mathematics, Research Analyst, Applied Mathematics, Biomathematics, Biostatistics, Computer Science, Financial Mathematics, Economist.
- Law or Medicine, Music, Technical Writing.
- Operations Research, Public Heath and Epidemiology, Public Policy.
- Research Mathematics, Statistics, Teaching.
- Career Profiles and information on Mathematics Careers. Information provided by mathematics professional organizations (AMS, MAA, SIAM).
- The Mathematical Association of America has a new Mathematics Career Resource Center full of useful information.
- Information on Careers in Applied Mathematics provided by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
- Careers using Mathematics: Information provided by the Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
- Here is some advice from a 2016 SIAM panel on preparing for a job in industry of the business world.
- Dr sarah-marie belcastro has a webpage about careers in mathematics full of information and links to job sites.
- Preparing for an Actuarial career at Washington & Lee: information from Professor Dresden.
- Be an Actuary has information supported and maintained by the actuarial professional societies and some major employers.
- Actuarial Science: Information provided by the actuarial societies (SOA, CAS).
Where W&L math majors have found jobs after graduation
(This is an incomplete list.)
Federal Reserve (research assistant International Finance), Brattle Group DC (research analyst), Ernst & Young (technology advisor), Healthcare Consulting Milliman (actuarial), Nationwide Insurance (application developer), Hewlett-Packard (java developer), Epic (integration engineer, technical services analyst), Department of Defense, Edj Analytics.
Graduate School Information
How to apply to math grad school: information from Professor Denne.
Graduate School, Summer Programs, and more: Information provided by the American Mathematical Society.
Graduate program rankings
Where W&L students have gone to graduate school
(These are incomplete lists.)
Mathematics & Statistics
UC Berkeley, University of Southern California, University of South Carolina, Univeristy of Iowa, University of North Carolina, University of Virginia, The Ohio State University, Wake Forest University.
Boston University (MS Mathematical Finance), Carnegie Mellon (Finance), Duke University (PhD in Physics), University of Virginia (Medical School), University of Pennsylvania (PhD in Computer Science), University of South Carolina (Medical School), City University of New York (PhD Economics), Harvard's Graduate School of Design.