Reservations and Fees
Who May Use Lee Chapel?
- W&L students listed in the University Directory for the current year
- Current and retired faculty and staff listed in the University Directory
- Alumni listed in the W&L Alumni Directory
- University-related board members and officers emeriti
- The son or daughter of any of those listed above
As a courtesy and when scheduling permits, the Lee Chapel also hosts:
- Virginia Military Institute students (when Jackson Memorial Hall is unavailable).
- Lexington City, Buena Vista and Rockbridge County residents not otherwise affiliated with the University.
- Out of region weddings
All weddings must comply with our stated guidelines and restrictions. Scheduling and fees will apply to all weddings. See Fees below.
What are the Steps for Making a Reservation?
- Contact the Wedding Coordinator at email@example.com or the Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-458-8767 to determine date and time availability. Please have in mind a preferred date and at least two alternative dates.
- Complete and submit your Reservation Form (See Forms) online.
- Print out and sign the Wedding Protocols Form (See Forms). Mail this Form to the Site Manager at 204 N. Main Street, Lexington, VA 24450.
- Submit fees to secure the reservation. (Check or money order must be sent with the Wedding Protocols Form.)
You, your guests and all vendors will have access to the Chapel one hour before the ceremony begins. For example: if your wedding ceremony is at 6:00 p.m., your reservation for the Chapel space begins at 5:00 p.m. and continues until 7:30 p.m. All activity pertaining to your wedding must take place within this allotted time, including all decorating, photography, music rehearsal and clean-up. Please be sure your guests, wedding director, photographer, musicians and florist are aware of this time constraint.
Remember that University activities are a priority and scheduling in Lee Chapel is subject to many changes during the year. We will do our best to inform you of any Universtiy, Museum or community event that may coincide with your wedding date or place unusual demands upon the Chapel's appearance or accessibility. Though highly unlikely, unusual circumstances may disrupt reservations made months or even a year in advance.
Please note: The Chapel makes reservations on a first come, first served basis. Requesting a wedding does not assure the date. Confirmation of the date is firm once all paperwork and the check is received by our office.
What is the Fee for Reserving Lee Chapel?
- For the W&L Community as defined above: $1,000.00.
- For Lexington City, Rockbridge County, and Buena Vista: $1500.00.
- For Out of Region weddings: $2000.00
- (effective July 1, 2016)
Fees include rental fee and the hiring of a Lee Chapel staff member and security officer. Fees may be increased at any time, but the increase will not apply to weddings confirmed prior to the change.
A sales tax rate of 5.3% will be applied to the rental fee for each group listed above (effective March 4, 2019).
What Time May We Schedule Our Wedding?
The following times are available for weddings:
- Rehearsal times are restricted to one hour intervals on the hour on the Friday or Saturday evening before the ceremony.
- Our preference is for late afternoon or evening weddings on Saturdays or Sundays since we are open to the public on the weekends. Other requests may be granted at the discretion of the Site Manager as circumstances permit.
- If you need to reschedule a confirmed wedding date please make your request to the manager as soon as possible.
Your wedding reservation includes: a one hour rehearsal and two and one-half hours for the wedding, inclusive of all activities. This schedule has been carefully arranged in fairness to the next wedding party or event, our staff, and the University Public Safety department. If additional time is needed for the wedding or for a musicians' rehearsal, it must be approved in advance by the manager and additional fees will apply.
Are There Times When the Chapel Is Not Available?
We do not schedule weddings in Lee Chapel during the following times:
- Weekends of Freshman Orientation. Homecoming, Alumni Reunion or other major University events
- Weekends surrounding University holidays, including Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year.
What If We Need To Cancel?
- If you have established a wedding date, but not sent in your check, just email the manager of the cancellation.
- Paid weddings cancelled 6 months prior to the scheduled date will be refunded, minus the $100 fee for public safety and $150 fee for Lee Chapel staff.
- Within 3 months of the scheduled wedding date, there will be no refund.