The Reeves Collection contains a number of ceramics associated with the University's namesakes, George Washington and Robert E. Lee. Some of the pieces here were owned and used by Washington or Lee, while others commemorate them or their activities.
The long-term exhibitions for the Lee Chapel include the main exhibition "Not Unmindful of the Future: Educating to Build and Rebuild a Nation", as well as interpretation in Lee's Office. A changing exhibition gallery displays rotating exhibits.
Temporary Exhibit: 150 Years Later: The Heart of Campus
On View at Lee Chapel and Museum
For one hundred and fifty years, the Lee Chapel has been the site of the university's most important academic events. Long considered the "heart" of campus, the College Chapel was built as a place of both worship and instruction. The modest but modern architecture and arrangement of the College Chapel interior reflected the new curricular ideas the board, administration and faculty were implementing in the 1860's. It became known as "Lee Chapel" well after the death of Robert E. Lee, the 11th president of Washington College who built the chapel.
Washington College Chapel floor plans, ca. 1868
Image courtesy of Leyburn Library Special Collections