Links and Resources
- Leyburn Library: LACS Course Guides
- Leyburn LIbrary: LACS 101 Guide
- Leyburn Library: LACS 396 Guide
- Leyburn Library: LACS Databases
- New LACS holdings at Leyburn
- LANIC (Latin American Network Information Center UT Austin)
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS)
- CIA World Fact Book
- Latin American Historical Text Archive
- PewResearch Center- Hispanic Demographics
- Maps of the Americas- courtesy of the C.I.A.
- Are you on the Map?- Tell us about your favorite place in Latin America or Caribbean and we'll put you on the map. (W&L students, alumni, and faculty: Send Prof. Barnett an email with your name, class year, name of favorite Latin American or Caribbean place, a very brief statement about why this place holds significance for you, and a picture and we'll put you on the map. Updated once a semester.)
- 2010 Interactive Census Map of the US: Browse local data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey, based on samples from 2005 to 2009. Because these figures are based on samples, they are subject to a margin of error, particularly in places with a low population, and are best regarded as estimates.
- Mexican Drug Cartel- Regional areas of cartels. Roll over red diamond areas to read more about cities where fighting is most violent
- Latin American News and Newsgroups (by country)
Previous articles from "In the News" (Frontpage)
- Global Study on Homicide-The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime has released its 2011 global study on homicide, with interesting findings about countries in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Hispanic Media: Faring Better than the Mainstream Media | State of the Media- The ethnic media play an important role by providing news in both foreign languages and in English about places and issues that are often absent from the mainstream media. Here's how Hispanic media are faring.
- U.S. Commits to Sending More Students to Latin America and the Caribbean- The U.S. government wants to increase student exchanges with Latin America and the Caribbean, committing to sending 100,000 American students to study in the region over the next 10 years,
- Parlez Vous Francais? It Might Boost Brain Power- Need another reason to study French and Spanish? It just might be good for your brain.