Wireless Network FAQPrint
How do employees and students get on the wireless network?
Follow these steps:
- Find and choose the "eduroam" wireless network on your device.
- When prompted, enter your full W&L email address and your W&L password
- Note: you will need to log in to eduroam only once, until you change your W&L password.
- Select "I agree" or "Trust" or "Continue" if you receive any certificate messages, even if you see a "not trusted" message.
Contact the Information Desk (540) 458-5457 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or you need assistance.
Once your wireless device is configured for eduroam, you will automatically connect to the eduroam wireless network at W&L and at any of the hundreds of institutions worldwide that use the eduroam wireless network.
The "WLU" wireless network is designed for guests and visitors; see below.
Trouble connecting to eduroam?
- Re-start your device - this may resolve the issue
- Macintosh computers: If you're getting disconnected from eduroam, you may need to make eduroam your preferred wireless network:
- Click the Wi-Fi icon in the menu bar > click Open Network Preferences > Select WiFi in the left pane > click Advanced > under WiFi tab, drag "eduroam" to the top in the list of preferred wireless networks
How do visitors and guests access wireless?
Visitors and guests:
- Use the guest network "WLU." Once this network is selected, you'll be prompted to complete a form:
- Fill in your full name, phone number and carrier, email address (which becomes your username) and click Confirm.
- You will receive a text message/email with your guest wireless account details at the phone number you entered.
- You will land on the "Your Account has been created" page. Check your text/email on your phone for the password.
- Click on "Click Here" on the "Your Account has been created" page
- The page with your credentials also has the date of the account expiration
Consultants, vendors, speakers and other visitors who have official business with the University may seek a sponsored-guest wireless account, which offers a faster connection than a guest connection. Follow these steps:
- Contact a W&L employee who is familiar with you and your planned work at the University and them to sponsor you. Any W&L employee can serve as a sponsor.
- Complete the form for sponsored guests. Include the email address of your sponsor. When you submit the form, the sponsor will receive an email and will be asked to confirm sponsorship of your wireless access.
- After sponsorship is confirmed, you will be emailed with instructions on accessing W&L's wireless network. The sponsored guest account is valid for seven days, and may be renewed by completing a new application, following the steps above.
How do I set up my wireless printer or wireless router?
For network security purposes, anything that broadcasts its own signal is an unauthorized extension of the W&L network, and is banned by the University's Acceptable Use Policy.
How do I connect my game device to the wireless network?
The wireless network for use by employees and students at W&L is eduroam, a reciprocal, secure wireless service used by more than 300 educational institutions in the U.S. and hundreds more internationally. Once you configure your wireless device, it will automatically connect to eduroam at W&L and any location worldwide where eduroam is in operation. Employees and students at other institutions where eduroam is in use may in turn use their institutional credentials to connect to eduroam while at W&L.
For a complete list of participating institutions, see https://eduroam.org/where