Cable TV and Xfinity Streaming FAQPrint
What channels are available through the campus Xfinity service?
How do I stream TV, movies, and sports to my wireless devices?
- Computers: Students living in campus housing on the university's wireless network can log into xfinityoncampus.com with his or her W&L username and password. You may need to download an updated version of Adobe Flash Player to stream to your computer (if so, you will be prompted and it will recommend the correct version for your computer). The preferred browser for a Mac is Chrome.
- Mobile devices, including smartphones, tablets: download the XFinity Stream app and follow the directions, entering your W&L username and password when prompted. See https://xfinityoncampus.com/about for details.
This brief video tutorial provides instructions on connecting both computers and mobile devices to the XFinity streaming service.
Can I use wall jacks in my room to access the campus cable service?
- NO: Residents of Graham-Lees and Gaines residence halls, beginning in fall 2017: First-year students and others living in these spaces must use W&L's wireless network to access TV service. See instructions above.
- YES: Upper class students living in on-campus housing, including Woods Creek apartments, theme houses, sorority houses, Village townhouses and Village apartments. Rooms in these residence halls are equipped with cable TV jacks. Your television must have a Clear QAM tuner to access cable TV via these jacks. Most TVs built after 2006 are equipped with Clear QAM tuners. You will also need to provide your own cords to connect to the wall jack. Element TVs will not work on our system.
How can I play content from my computer onto the communal TVs?
- Many of the TVs have HDMI ports nearby but you will need to have your own HDMI cord. If you have a Mac, additional adapters may be necessary.
- Additionally, the control panel accompanying many of the TVs permits you to use services such as Netflix and Hulu
What do I do if I am not getting cable TV or I am only getting a limited number of channels?
- Make sure your TV is connected directly to the wall jack (except for Graham-Lees and Gaines; access in these spaces is wireless-only, through xfinityoncampus.com ).
- Check the wire that connects your TV to the wall jack. (You must provide this wire -- available at the Bookstore, Wal Mart, etc.). Make sure this cable is connected properly to both the TV and the wall jack and that the ends of the thin wire inside this cable are not bent over
- Next, try programming your TV:
- Activate the MENU settings of your TV set
- Scroll through menu selections until you find a TV/ANTENNA/CABLE setting (or something similar)
- Change this setting to CABLE or CATV
- After setting to CATV, use the AUTO PROGRAM feature to automatically find the channels.
- If you still cannot solve the problem after troubleshooting, request help by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I obtain additional help?
- For all other questions and to arrange training for yourself or your department, contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4357 (HELP) or by sending an email to email@example.com