Safe Travel Guidelines for StudentsPrint
What do I need to do before I travel abroad?
- Please be aware that customs may confiscate anything you bring
- Change your password
- Update your wi-fi (eduroam) connection by forgetting/adding back to all devices with your full email as your username
- On Mac uncheck "Remember networks this computer has joined" before removing eduroam and leave that setting during your travels
- Update your email with your new password on appropriate devices
- Make sure to store all University-related data in Box to ensure it is safe. Back up any personal data to a cloud storage option or other safe location.
What do I need to know while traveling?
- Use passwords to lock and unlock your device (preferably not biometrics: fingerprint, facial, retinal)
- Avoid visiting any website that requires login credentials unless needed while traveling
- Use myVI or VPN to access W&L resources and approved cloud services like Box
- Use private browsing to prevent credentials from being cached or clear your browsing history after each use
- Do not plug in untrusted accessories (flash drives, charging cables, memory cards) as these may install malware and steal data
- Turn off devices when not in use
- Do not join networks automatically; turn off Wireless, Bluetooth, and GPS when not being used
- Do not use public devices to log into any University resources or use public charging stations
- If you suspect your credentials have been compromised, contact ITS immediately so we can lock your W&L accounts
- Please review this government site on International Travel, and be aware of your destination country' laws and cultural customs
What do I need to do when I return from travel abroad?
- Avoid immediately connecting to personal or work networks prior to running full anti-virus and anti-malware scans
- Change your password used during your travels at the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn library
- Forget and add back the eduroam network and update your email with your new password
How can I find additional help or support?
For more information, please contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4537 (HELP) or email firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR to leaving campus