Box File Storage FAQPrint
What is Box?
Box at W&L is a Web-based file storage workspace which enables people to collaborate and share information. Features include:
- Access from anywhere
- Access from virtually any device, including apps on phones and tablets. Box Drive provides a familiar file-management interface for Windows and Mac users
- Document-versioning allows you to track document changes
- Powerful search capability
- Collaboration: share folders or individual files, with people inside or outside the University. Annotate documents with comment feature. View "activity" to see who has accessed the folders/files, and when.
How do I access it?
Use your W&L network credentials to log in at box.wlu.edu
How do I access Box on a classroom computer?
Faculty members who need to access their Box files during a class should use the convenient desktop icon (see below) to sign into Box.
How much space is available?
Students, faculty and staff have unlimited file storage space in Box.
What kinds of files may be stored in Box?
Virtually all types of files can be store in Box, with the exception of certain sensitive data; consult this chart of services and regulated data types.
Can Box be used for student organizations?
Yes. Contact the Information Desk (email@example.com) to request a Box folder to share with members of a student organization.
What happens after I leave the University?
Upon graduation, students can convert their W&L Box accounts to personal Box accounts. Faculty and staff Box accounts become inactive 30 days after their employment with the University ends. They can move their data to personal Box accounts.(Please contact the ITS Information Desk if you have questions about this process.)
What tools are available for Box?
Box can be better integrated with other applications such as Office with the use of free software called apps or plug-ins. This software is approved for use with Box at W&L:
- Box Drive: Box Drive provides a convenient means of accessing your Box files, using Windows Explorer or Finder on a Macintosh computer. It's similar to the H and I drives for network-based storage, but is more flexible and offers Box's unlimited file storage.
- Box Edit: Box Edit lets you create and edit files directly on Box using the native apps installed on your computer. To install it, log into Box, click on your name in the upper right, select "Apps," find Box Edit and follow the prompts.
- Box Sync: Box Sync is useful if you need offline file access.
- Box for iPhone
- To find apps for iPad, Android phones and tablets, and other apps approved for use at W&L, go to https://wlu.app.box.com/services/browse/
How long does a deleted file stay in the trashcan in Box at W&L?
Deleted files remain in the Box at W&L trashcan for 30 days, during which time, the owner can restore the file if needed. There are an additional 14 days that Box Admin can recover the file after that. If you have questions, please contact the ITS Information Desk by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (540) 458-4357.
How do I find additional help or support?
For all other questions and to arrange training for yourself or your department, contact the ITS Information Desk in Leyburn Library at (540) 458-4357 (HELP) or by sending an email to email@example.com