Eldercare speakers are hosted in conjunction with the Life Happens series. Care.com offers resources to support employees with aging parents, including senior care planning services and senior care advising.
- Senior Care Planning Services offered through Care.com. The Senior Care Planning service can help you find care for loved ones, as well as make sound decisions. They will even mediate situations when you and other family members disagree about what is best. We also subsidize 60% of costs incurred for backup senior/elder care expenses ($200 yearly maximum).
- Our Employee Assistance Program can help with the stress of care giving, grief/loss, or thinking through the inevitable difficult conversations caregivers must have with aging parents or spouses.
- Health Advocate can help you find in-home care, adult day care, long-term care, and/or community based services. They can clarify Medicare and Medicare Supplemental plans, provide assistance in understanding claims and conditions, coordinate care among multiple providers, arrange transportation to appointments and otherwise guide you in navigating the health care system. This benefit is available to W&L employees, their parents and in-laws
On Campus Programming
- Life Happens! Series: These brown bag lunches often focus on elder care topics, including elder law, in-home care options, caregiver support for dementia and others. Visit the Life Happens! page for current offerings.
- Annual Wellness Fair: The Wellness Fair, held in the Fall, brings local vendors to campus to offer information and resources. Local support groups and elder care companies are represented.
Family Friendly Practices
- CTO: Allows up to 30 days per year for employees to use in whatever way is necessary for them.
- FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act): Provides extended time off on an intermittent or ongoing basis as needed for care giving duties
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): Provides tax relief for care expenses for dependents
- A Place for Mom: Nation's largest elder care referral service
- Alzheimer's Association: Caregivers support group and other resources
- Caregiverstress.com: self-care resources for caregivers
- Five Wishes: Living Will/Power of Attorney Template
- Home Instead - Elderly homecare and non-medical home health care
- Maury River Senior Center: local senior center associated with the Valley Program for Aging Services; offers meals, transportation, classes, recreation, insurance counseling, etc
- Mesothelioma.com: Information on symptoms, causes and treatment options for families.
- The Mesothelioma Group: Support and resources on Mesothelioma patients and their families
- Senior Navigator: Resources for health and aging in Virginia
- Valley Program for Aging Services: local aging services; similar organizations exist by geographic region throughout the country