Combined Time Off
Combined Time Off (CTO) can be used for vacation, personal illness, doctor's appointments, and other personal reasons, including care of immediate family who are seriously ill and require care at home, and for children's doctors' appointments which cannot be scheduled outside of working hours.
Departments establish practices for providing notice of absences from work and for scheduling time away. Some departments whose workload is directly dependent on students being on campus take their time off when students are not in residence. Other departments schedule time off by mutual arrangement based upon the person's need and the department's workload.
- Normally employees will not be permitted to carry a negative balance. If there are extenuating circumstances, a written request for an exception should be submitted to the Executive Director of Human Resources. The request should include a plan for replenishing the CTO balance.
- CTO does not accrue during unpaid leaves or once an employee has reached his maximum accrual limit. You will receive an email when you are within 40 hours of your maximum CTO accrual. This serves as a reminder to use CTO or transfer CTO to SLR.
- Employees (exempt and non-exempt) who work less than 12 months or have a pro-rated weekly schedule receive the appropriate accrual based on the months/hours scheduled to work.
- CTO can only be used during the months in which you are scheduled to work.
- When using CTO, non-exempt employees record hours used. Exempt employees should only record CTO when you take a half or full day off. This is necessary to preserve exempt status.
- Employees who leave the University are paid for accrued, unused CTO balances as long as CTO has been recorded appropriately throughout your employment.
- Supervisors are responsible for time entry training using Web Advisor. New employees should speak with supervisors about Web Advisor training.
- You can review what you've recorded and check your balance at reports.wlu.edu.
Click here to review CTO accrual rates for your position.