Quick Reference Guide for Washington and Lee Faculty and Staff Reporting Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Dating and Domestic Violence, Stalking, and Retaliation
WHAT must be reported?
The University's Sexual Discrimination and Misconduct Policy (the "Policy") prohibits the following conduct:
- Sexual Harassment
- Non-consensual sexual penetration
- Non-consensual sexual contact
- Sexual exploitation
- Relationship violence (including domestic violence and dating violence)
Complete definitions of each of these terms are set forth in the Policy, available at http://go.wlu.edu/OGC/SexualMisconductPolicy
WHO must report?
Under federal law, all W&L community members are expected to report. However, the following individuals are "Responsible Employees" under the Policy and are required to report:
- Title IX Coordinator and Assistant Title IX Coordinator(s)Athletic Director, Associate and Assistant Athletic Directors
- Athletic Team Coaches, Assistant Coaches, and Athletic Trainers
- Directors of Legal Clinics
- Director of Sustainability Initiatives and Education
- Director and Officers of Public Safety
- Faculty and staff accompanying students on off-campus, university-related trips
- Undergraduate Faculty Department and Program Chairs
- Law School Director of Academic Success
- IROs and DPAs referenced here
- Resident Advisers and Community Assistants
- Shepherd Program - Coordinator for Student Service Leadership, Research and Co-Curricular Service Coordinator, Co-Curricular Service Coordinator
- Student resources referenced here
WHEN must I report?
There is no time limit on reporting, but reports should be made as soon as possible after you become aware of a possible violation of the Policy.
WHERE do I report?
- Allegations against students should be reported to Lauren Kozak, Title IX Coordinator, Elrod University Commons 212, 540.458.4055, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Allegations against faculty and staff should be reported to Mary Main, Title IX Assistant Coordinator for Employment, Two South Main 109, 540.458.8250, email@example.com.
***Never Promise Confidentiality***
No W&L employee may promise confidentiality (except in Counseling and Health Services) and all are instructed to share information regarding allegations of prohibited conduct (as described above) with the appropriate Title IX Coordinator so that the University may take prompt and reasonable steps to eliminate the hostile environment, prevent its recurrence, and remedy its effects.