W&L University Need-Based Grant
How to Apply
The application for university funded need-based grant consists of the three steps listed below. The complete application must be submitted by the relevant deadline if you wish to be considered for university funded need-based grant or the W&L Promise. The instructions below apply to domestic students, international students should click here.
STEP 1: Complete the 2017-18 CSS Profile online using your 2015 federal tax returns.
- Our school code is 5887
- The Non-Custodial Parent Profile is required if your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried.
STEP 2: Submit your 2015 Federal Tax Returns directly to the W&L Office of Financial Aid via electronic upload or mail:
- Your and your parents' 2015 federal tax returns including all schedules, W-2s, 1099s, etc
- 2015 Federal tax returns for businesses and corporations including all schedules, K-1s,etc, if applicable
- If your parents are divorced, separated, or unmarried, your non-custodial parent's tax return is also required.
STEP 3: Complete the 2017-18 FAFSA online using your 2015 federal tax returns.
- Our school code is 003768
Deadlines for submitting the W&L University Need-Based Grant Application
- December 1, 2016 for Early Decision I
- January 15, 2017 for Early Decision II
- February 15, 2017 for Regular Decision
Monitor Your Status Online
Prospective students can monitor the status of their Financial Aid application online by logging in to the Admissions GHQ page using the username and password provided by the Office of Admissions. After logging in to the GHQ, students should navigate to the FA Portal. All financial aid documents currently required of the student will be listed along with a status of Received or Not Received. Many documents can be uploaded electronically to our site. To do so, click the "Upload" button next to the document you would like to submit. You will be prompted to navigate to the document's location on your computer so it can be uploaded to our website. W&L does not participate in the IDOC process.
The security of your sensitive materials is important at W&L. Email attachments can be compromised. Due to security and privacy concerns we do not accept documents submitted via fax or email. If you do not wish to use our secure upload site you may also mail your documents directly to our office at W&L Office of Financial Aid, 204 West Washington Street, Lexington, VA 24450.
Federal Financial Aid
Eligibility for any federally funded need-based grant, federal student and/or parent loan, or federal work study requires the submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid.) To ensure adequate time to process federal aid the FAFSA application should be submitted by the financial aid application deadline relevant to your admissions application. You are not required to submit the W&L University need-based grant application to receive federal aid. If you wish to be considered for W&L need-based grant, you will need to submit the W&L University need-based grant application.
- Steps 1, 2 and 3 are required to determine eligibility for any W&L need-based assistance. This aid will be included on your financial aid award letter.
- Your 2015 federal tax returns are the only tax returns required by the financial aid deadline. 2016 tax returns are not required to complete the application.
- All admitted applicants who submit the FAFSA will receive an award letter indicating their eligibility for federal financial aid awards. If at all possible do not submit your FAFSA with estimated tax figures.
- Special Circumstances? You are welcome to notify our office in writing of any special or unusual circumstances beyond the family's control which will limit your ability to afford educational costs.
- We do not accept documents submitted via fax or email. Please mail your documents to our office at W&L Financial Aid Office, 204 West Washington Street, Lexington, VA 24450. You can also submit documents via electronic upload