SPEAK's mission is to bring awareness to the occurrence of sexual misconduct in colleges around the country and prevent further incidents in the W&L and Rockbridge communities. We promote events that bring students of all race, gender, sexuality, Greek affiliation, and background together with the goal of promoting healthy sexual practices and provide the student body with the knowledge and materials to prevent risky or unwanted sexual behavior.
SPEAK started in the late 2000s as an all-female student group with intention to raise awareness of and prevent sexual assault and misconduct in the Washington and Lee community. In the 2014-2015 academic year, SPEAK became a co-ed organization by joining with the all-male student group 1-in-4, which was similarly devoted to bringing more attention to the issue of sexual assault on college campuses.
SPEAK's mission is to bring awareness to the occurrence of sexual misconduct in colleges around the country and prevent further incidents in the W&L and Rockbridge communities. We pursue this goal through the following measures:
• We strive to raise awareness of sexual misconduct on campus, support survivors, and focus on prevention.
• We aim to build a healthy campus culture based on active bystander intervention and the strengthening of community trust.
• We promote events that bring students of all race, gender, sexuality, Greek affiliation, and background together with the goal of promoting healthy sexual practices.
• We provide the student body with the knowledge and materials to prevent risky or unwanted sexual behavior, including condoms and Active Bystander Intervention training, in order to endorse healthy sexual culture.
Requirements for Membership
Membership in SPEAK shall be evaluated through an application process. The following characteristics are evaluated by the SPEAK's Co-Chairs:
• An active interest in preventing sexual misconduct and promoting healthy sexuality to the community, both campus-wide and beyond.
• Strong desire to bring about change in the attitudes and perceptions surrounding sexual misconduct.
• A commitment to attendance of monthly meetings and SPEAK events throughout the year.
Benefits of SPEAK
SPEAK plays an essential role on our campus by providing survivors with a safe, supportive environment, spreading awareness about sexual misconduct, and promoting healthy sexuality. Through Active Bystander Intervention Training and extended orientation, we seek to prevent instances of sexual misconduct and promote the creation of a community of trust. SPEAK also plays a role in the greater Rockbridge community by fundraising for and connecting student volunteers with community resources, such as Project Horizon.
Organization of Leadership
Elections for the following positions to be held in April:
o Responsible for the overall organization and planning of SPEAK meetings and events
o Works closely with Advisor, Jan Kaufman
o Have a role on the W&L Healthy Sexual Culture Committee (HSCC)
o Responsible for keeping track of SPEAK's budget and spending practices
o Reports to Co-Chairs and Advisor, Jan Kaufman