PAACE Pan-Asian Association for Cultural Exchange
PAACE provides an environment where students can come together to appreciate the different Asian cultures of the world. And in turn, we hope to be able to spread our love and appreciation for Asian culture to the Lexington community. Our primary goal is to reach out to those who are unfamiliar with the Asian culture and allow them to experience a taste of it here in Lexington.
Contact: Nuoya Zhou '18
PAACE was founded in 2001 as a specialty club that mainly focused on promoting and celebrating Asian culture on campus. We work with various other multi-cultural organizations on campus to promote diversity at Washington and Lee.
PAACE's is a club that provides an environment where students can come together to appreciate the different Asian cultures of the world. And in turn, we hope to be able to spread our love and appreciation for Asian culture to the Lexington community. Our primary goal is to reach out to those who are unfamiliar with the Asian culture and allow them to experience a taste of it here in Lexington. Creating a culturally-aware environment on campus will not only benefit the current students but will also help in recruiting a more diverse array of applicants in the future.
Membership is open to all the students of Washington and Lee University. The only requirement is that he/she has an appreciation for the Asian cultures and is enthusiastic about spreading awareness of it.
We highly encourage all members to attend our general body meetings and participate in our events. We usually have members sign up help out with our bigger events.
All the officers of the executive board are elected through a voting process by the general body. This election process usually takes place during the first week of Spring Term. Only current members of PAACE are allowed to run for officer positions. They must inform the current exec board of their intentions to run when an email is sent out about elections. All candidates are required to give a short speech explaining their qualifications for the position they are running for.
• The President is responsible for maintaining the group as a whole and execute responsibilities to each of the officers. They make sure that every planned event goes about smoothly. She/he is responsible for planning a general body meeting or board meeting when necessary.
• The Vice President is responsible for supporting the president and counseling the Committees assigned by the President. He or she should be prepared to administer the club in the absence of the president. He or she ensures officers are well prepared for meetings.
• The Secretary is responsible for organizing and maintaining any documents and files relevant to the organization. He/She is expected to take notes of important information during board meetings, and relay them to the general body members if needed. His/her job is primarily to ensure that the group stays organized and on-track of things.
• The Treasurer is in charge of keeping track of monetary records, in terms of how much is being spent by the club as a whole. They are also responsible for planning how to budget for certain events and/or sales and transacting business through the school account.
• The Publicity Chair is responsible for managing PAACE's social media accounts and publicizing performances and other events. This position demands skills in communication and a decent familiarity with the current popular social medias. The Publicity chair must also work with the Event coordinator to brainstorm new ideas and events for the organization.
• The Event Coordinators (2) are solely responsible for coordinating the events held by PAACE. He/She will work with the publicity chair to ensure that each of our main events is executed properly. Responsibilities for this position (in terms of main events) entail preparation and clean-up, communicating with guest speakers and performers (when applicable), and ordering food.