Kyle Friend Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of Wisconsin - Madison 2008-13
- Post-doctorate research
- Mentor - Judith Kimble
- Regulation of mRNA translation in C. elegans and mammalian stem cells
Yale University 2007-08
- Post-doctorate research
- Mentor - Emre Seli
- Regulation of the embryonic poly(A)-binding protein
Yale University 2001-07
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biophysics and Biochemistry
- Thesis Adviser - Joan Steitz
- Role of U2 snRNP in intronless mRNA 3' end formation
National Institutes of Health - National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease 2000-01
- NIH Post-baccaluareate IRTA
- Mentor - Ron Schwartz
- Molecular mechanism of T cell anergy
Ohio State University 1996-2000
- B.S. in Biochemistry
- Mentor - Venkat Gopalan
- Arabidopsis thaliana RNase P
We work to understand the molecular biology of protein/nucleic acid complexes and the regulation of gene expression. Specifically, we are characterizing novel metabolic enzyme/RNA interactions with an interest in how metabolism interfaces with mRNA regulation. Separately, we are investigating the molecular mechanism of mRNA translation, with a focus on translational elongation (the stepwise addition of amino acids to a growing protein in the ribosome).
CHEM 341 - Biochemistry I
CHEM 342 - Biochemistry II
CHEM 343 - Biochemistry I Lab
CHEM 344 - Biochemistry II Lab
- Friend, K., *Brooks, H.A., Propson, N.E., Thomson, J.A. and Kimble, J. Embryonic stem cell growth factors regulate eIF2α phosphorylation. Submitted.
- Friend, K., Brook, M., *Bezirci, F.B., Sheets, M.D., Gray, N.K. and Seli, E. 2012. Embryonic poly(A)-binding protein (ePAB) phosphorylation is required for Xenopus oocyte maturation. Biochem J. 445(1): 93-100. PMID: 22497250.
- Campbell, Z.T., Menichelli, E., Friend, K., Wu, J., Kimble, J., Williamson, J.R. and Wickens, M. 2012. Identification of a conserved interface between PUF and CPEB proteins. J. Biol. Chem. 287(22): 18854-62. PMID: 22496444.
- Friend, K., Campbell, Z.T., Cooke, A., Kroll-Conner, P., Wickens, M.P. and Kimble, J. 2012. A conserved PUF—Ago—eEF1A complex attenuates translation elongation. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 19(2): 176-83. PMID: 22231398. Comment in Pasquinelli, A. E. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 19(2): 133-4.
- Friend, K., Kolev, N.G., Shu, M.D., and Steitz, J.A. 2008. Minor-class splicing occurs in the nucleus of the Xenopus oocyte. RNA 14(8): 1459-1462. PMID: 18567814.
- Friend, K., *Lovejoy, A.F., and Steitz, J.A. 2007. U2 snRNP binds intronless histone pre-mRNAs to facilitate U7-snRNP-dependent 3' end formation. Mol. Cell 28(2): 240-252. PMID: 17964263. Comment in Marzluff, W.F. Mol. Cell 28(3): 353-354.
- Fok, V., Friend, K., and Steitz, J.A. 2006. Epstein-Barr virus noncoding RNAs are confined to the nucleus, whereas their partner, the human La protein, undergoes nucleocytoplasmic shuttling. J. Cell. Biol. 173(3): 319-325. PMID: 16682524.
- Cahill, N., Friend, K., Speckmann, W., Li, Z.H., Terns, R.M., Terns, M.P., Steitz, J.A. 2002. Site-specific cross-linking analyses reveal an asymmetric protein distribution for a box C/D snoRNP. EMBO J. 21(14): 3816-3828. PMID: 12110593.
*denotes undergraduate co-authors.
- Kershner, A., Crittenden, S.L., Friend, K., Sorensen, E.B., Porter, D.F., and J. Kimble. 2013. Germline stem cells and their regulation in the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. In Transcriptional and Translational Regulation of Stem Cells (eds. G. Hime & H. Abud, Springer).
- Friend, K. and Seli, E. 2009. Molecular biology of the gamete. In Stem Cells in Human Reproduction, 2nd ed. (eds. C. Simon and A. Pellicer, Informa Healthcare Press).
Twelve students mentored, nine students at W&L.
Billy Davis, Zack Dubit, Austin Walker, Conan Zhao, Emmanuel Abebrese, Daphine Mugayo, Nick Noble, Aalekhya Tenali, Hunter Brooks, Tram Lai (at UW - Madison), Betul Bezirci (at Yale University), Alex Lovejoy (at Yale University)