Steve Desjardins Professor of Chemistry
Science Addition A330B
1985 The University of Texas, Austin, TX
- Postdoctoral Research Associate with Dr. Peter J. Rossky
- Research: Theoretical Studies in Statistical Mechanics; Development of Interaction Site integral equation theory for molecular fluids such as water.
1984 Brown University, Providence, RI
Ph.D., Physical Chemistry
- Thesis Advisor: Professor Richard M. Stratt, Department of Chemistry, Brown
- Thesis Topic: Theoretical Studies in Statistical Mechanics
1) Quantum effects on the conformational behavior of small molecules and polymers
2) Interaction of intramolecular degrees of freedom with a condensed phase environment
3) Classical and quantum behavior of lattice spin systems, such as the Ising-Lenz and Heisenberg models
1980 B.A., Chemistry and Philosophy, Magna Cum Laude, Clark University, Worcester, MA
- statistical mechanics
- nonlinear dynamics
- chemical kinetics
- Chem 106 Disorder and Chaos
- Chem 112 Aqueous Inorganic Chemistry
- Chem 260 Physical Chemistry of Biological Systems
Holland, M. G., Griffith, V. E., , France, M. B., and Desjardins, S. G., “Kinetics of the Ring-Opening Metathesis Polymerization of a 7-Oxanorbornene Derivative by Grubbs’ Catalyst”, J. Poly. Sci.: Part A: Poly. Chem., 41, 2125-2131 (2003)
Williams, H. T.; Goodwin, L.; Desjardins, S. G.; Billings, F. T.; "Two-Dimensional Growth Models," Physics Letters A, 1998, 250, 105.
Easton, R. E.; Murray, W. R.; Desjardins, S. G. "Fractal Analysis of Trajectories in Two Dimensional Argon Clusters.," J. Mol. Graphics (1992)
Desjardins, S. G.; Stratt, R. M.; "The Statistical Mechanics of a Liquid of Breathing Hard Spheres.," J. Chem. Phys. 1989, 90, 6809.
Stratt, R.M.; Desjardins, S. G.; "The Solvation of the Methyl Radical and its Implications.," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1984, 106, 256.
Desjardins, S. G.; Stratt, R. M.; "The Statistical Mechanics of a Liquid of Two-State Molecules.," II. "The Competition between Quantum Mechanics and the Condensed Phase.," J. Chem. Phys. 1984, 81, 6232.
Stratt, R. M.; Desjardins, S. G.; "Quantal Effects on Conformational Equilibria.," J. Chem. Phys., 1982, 76, 5134.
O'Gara, J.; Jones, A.A.; Desjardins, S. G.; "Spin Relaxation and Local Motion in Four Structurally Related Dissolved Polycarbonates," 1981, Macromolecules 14, 64.
- Jeffress Research Grant, 1989, $12,600
- Dr. Scholl's Foundation, 1999, $25,000
- W. Keck Foundation, 2001, $500,000