Dining Policies and Schedule for 2019-2020
All meal plans will be billed in two segments: Fall Term and Winter/Spring Term.
Fall Term Meal Plans
Open selection period for meal plans is from April 22, 2019 through June 7, 2019. You may change your default meal plan at any time through 4:00 pm Friday, June 7, 2019, for Fall Term. Information regarding default meal plans can be found here. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Director of Dining Services.
Note: Any approved change after June 7, 2019 will be assessed a $50 administrative fee.
Winter/Spring Term Meal Plans
Open selection period for meal plans is from October 15th through November 2nd. You may change your meal plan at any time through 4:00 pm Friday, November 2nd, for Winter/Spring Term. Changes requested after November 2nd must be approved by the Director of Dining Services and if approved, will be assessed a $25 administrative fee. Meal plan changes will not be accepted after 4:00 pm on Thursday, January 3rd. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Director of Dining Services.
A special feature of all meal plans is that they include an additional 10% discount off the published meal rates in the Marketplace when using Dining Dollars or Food Flex.
Meal Plan Dining Dollars must be used each semester. They will not carry over from Fall to Winter/Spring.
Campus Connection Food Flex may be carried over from Fall to Winter/Spring but must be spent by the end of the academic year (in accordance with state law).
Students staying on campus and not taking a class for Spring Term will be able to keep their meal plan. In the past, this was not possible because Virginia law does not allow students to have a tax free meal plan when they are not taking a class. This law still exists, but Dining Services (and ultimately W&L) is going to cover the tax so you have easy access to food. Spring Term Option students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate you want to keep your meal plan.
If you hold a meal plan, you may add tax-exempt Food Flex Dollars to your plan in $25 increments at any point during the academic year. If you leave school on an approved leave after the term has begun, you will receive a refund for the unspent balance of Food Flex Dollars.
The Full Board Dining Plan permits the holder 23 meals per week in the Marketplace during normal operating hours. Holders may use a Marketplace meal in Café 77 or the UDH Fieldside restaurant if they miss the dinner hour. The Full Board plan also includes six guest meals per semester.
All Upper Division Meal Plans (20, 15, 10, 7, & 2) allow for meal exchange at any time in any retail facilities, in addition to the normal Marketplace (or Sorority) dining room. Breakfast meals will be exchanged at a rate of $6.50. Brunch, lunch, and dinner will be exchanged at a value of $8.50. Meal exchanges are valid for scratch-made or bulk-dispensed products. Commercially pre-packaged items such as bottled beverages, candy bars, etc. are not eligible for purchase under meal exchange.
Fall Meal Plan
- Undergraduate: Saturday, September 1, 2018.
- Law School: Monday, August 13, 2018
- Thanksgiving Break
- Meals will end after dinner on Friday, November 16, 2018, and resume with dinner on Sunday, November 25, 2018. However, limited retail options will be available Monday, November 19, 2018 - Wednesday, November 21, 2018 for your convenience.
- Undergraduate: After dinner on the last day of finals, Friday, December 14, 2018.
- Law School: Saturday, December 15, 2018.
Winter/Spring Meal Plan
- Undergraduate: Dinner at 5:00 pm on Sunday, January 6, 2019.
- Law School: Monday, January 7
- February Break (Undergraduate)
- Meals will end after dinner on Friday, February 15, 2019, and resume with dinner on Sunday, February 24, 2019. Marketplace will be open limited hours over break and meal plans will be accepted for those students who are unable to leave campus.
- Spring Break
- Undergraduate: Meals will end after dinner on Friday, April 12, 2019, and resume with dinner on Sunday, April 21, 2019. Marketplace will be open limited hours over break and meal plans will be accepted for those students who are unable to leave campus.
- Law School: Meals end after classes on Friday, March 1, 2019 and resume on Monday, March 11, 2019.
- Undergraduate: Thursday, May 23, 2019.
- Law School: Friday, May 10, 2019.
Virginia Law does not permit refunds of unused portions of your flex plans or your Food Flex Dollars. You should use all funds by the end of the academic year. Refunds for Spring Term Abroad will be prorated.