Dining Policies and Schedule for 2019-2020
All meal plans will be billed in two segments: Fall Term and Winter/Spring Term.
Fall Term Meal Plans
Open selection period for meal plans is from April 22, 2019 through June 7, 2019. You may change your default meal plan at any time through 4:00 pm Friday, June 7, 2019, for Fall Term. Information regarding default meal plans can be found here. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Director of Dining Services.
Note: Any approved change after June 7, 2019 will be assessed a $50 administrative fee.
Winter/Spring Term Meal Plans
Open selection period for meal plans is from October 14, 2019 through November 1, 2019. You may change your meal plan at any time through 4:00 pm Friday, November 1, 2019 for Winter/Spring Term. If you have extenuating circumstances, please contact the Director of Dining Services. Note: Any approved change after November 1, 2019 will be assessed a $50 administrative fee.
Fall Meal Plan Schedule
- Undergraduate: Saturday, August 31, 2019.
- Law School: Monday, August 12, 2019.
- Meals will end after dinner on Friday, November 22, 2019, and resume on Sunday, December 1, 2019. However, limited retail options will be available Saturday, November 23, 2019 through November 30, 2019 for your convenience.
- Undergraduate: After dinner on the last day of finals, Friday, December 13, 2019.
- Law School: Saturday, December 14, 2019.
Winter/Spring Meal Plan Schedule
- Undergraduate: Dinner at 5:00 pm on Tuesday, January 7, 2020.
- Law School: Monday, January 6, 2020.
February Break (Undergraduate)
- Meals will end after dinner on Friday, February 21, 2020, and resume on Sunday, March 1, 2020. The Marketplace will be open limited hours over break and will be available for those students who are on campus.
- Undergraduate: Meals will end after dinner on Friday, April 17, 2020 and resume on Sunday, April 26, 2020. The Marketplace will be open with limited hours over break and available for those students who are on campus.
- Law School: Meals end after classes on Friday, February 21, 2020 and resume on Monday, March 2, 2020.
- Undergraduate: Sunday, May 24, 2020.
- Law School: Friday, April 24, 2020.
Dining Meal Plan Additional Information
A special feature of all meal plans is that they include an additional 10% discount off the published meal rates in The Marketplace when using Dining Dollars or Food Flex.
Meal Plan Dining Dollars must be used each semester. They will not carry over from Fall to Winter/Spring.
Campus Connection Food Flex ($100) must be used each semester. Additional Food Flex added may be carried over from Fall to Winter/Spring but must be spent by the end of the academic year (in accordance with state law).
Students staying on campus and not taking a class for Spring Term will be able to keep their meal plan. Dining Services will cover the required tax so you have easy access to food while you are on campus. Spring Term Option students should email firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate you want to keep your meal plan.
If you hold a meal plan, you may add tax-exempt Food Flex Dollars to your plan in $25 increments at any point during the academic year. If you leave school on an approved leave after the term has begun, you will receive a refund for the unspent balance of Food Flex Dollars.
The Full Board Dining Plan permits the holder 24 meals per week in The Marketplace during normal operating hours. Holders may use a Marketplace meal in Café 77, Fireside or Foodside restaurant if they miss the dinner hour. The Full Board plan also includes six guest meals per semester.
All Upper Division Meal Plans (20, 15, 10, 7, & 2) allow for meal exchange at any time in any retail facilities, in addition to The Marketplace (or Sorority) dining room. Breakfast meals will be exchanged at a rate of $6.50. Brunch, lunch, and dinner will be exchanged at a value of $8.60. Meal exchanges are valid for scratch-made or bulk-dispensed products. Commercially pre-packaged items such as bottled beverages, candy bars, etc. are not eligible for purchase under meal exchange.
Virginia Law does not permit refunds of unused portions of your flex plans or your Food Flex Dollars. You should use all funds by the end of the academic year. Refunds for Spring Term Abroad will be prorated.