Travel Checklist for F and J Visa Holders

This check list is designed for international students in F or J status who are traveling within the United States or abroad.

  • Sevis I-20 OR DS-2019: Check the travel signature on your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019. You must have your SEVIS I-20 or DS-2019 with you when you travel, even for travel within the United States. Be sure that your current I-20 or DS-2019 has an authorizing signature for travel no older than six months.
  • Passport: Check the expiration date of your passport. You must have your passport with you for all travel, including travel within the United States. If traveling abroad, your passport MUST be valid at least six months into the future upon your return to the United States. Passports may be renewed at your country's embassy or consulate in the United States. For a directory of all foreign consulates and embassies, with addresses and phone numbers, refer to the Embassy website.
  • Sevis fee receipt: It has been advised that you now travel with a copy of your I-901 SEVIS Fee Receipt. If you have misplaced your SEVIS Fee Receipt, the International Student Advisor can provide you another copy.
  • U.S. VISA: Check your U.S. visa stamp inside your passport. If your date expires, make sure to renew it before you enter US. 
  • W&L Student ID card: Carry your current W&L ID card with you as supporting documentation.
  • Optional Practical Training Employment (OPT): If you have applied for Optional Practical Training (OPT), you must have your Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with you, as well as your SEVIS I-20 endorsed for practical training, in order to re-enter the United States. It is also required that you also carry a letter that verifies your future employment (ex. contract letter).