Do I Need Social Security Number?

Yes, you do if you wish to work in the US. As you begin to work on campus, you will need to make a trip to the Social Security Administration in order to apply for a Social Security Number. Trips to the office will be taken care by Center for International Education. 

These are items you will need to bring with you:

  • Application: go to Application for SSN Card and see attached 'sample' of how to fill it out application
  • Passport
  • I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 Students)
  • Copy of electronic I-94 (make sure it is the most recent one)
  • Your mailing address/po box (they will mail your SSN card to this address so make sure you have your po box correct)
  • Employment Verification Letter 

Once you receive a Social Security Number, take this information to the Human Resources.